Charlotte

Charlotte

Thursday, October 15, 2015

DAY FOURTEEN - Always Watching: A Marble Hornets Story (horror movie challenge - 31 days of horror)


DAY FOURTEEN – ALWAYS WATCHING: A MARBLE HORNETS STORY (2015)
Oh boy, this movie suckkkked. I kind of expected it though. Slender Man works only as an obscure internet scary story. I first watched the Marble Hornets videos when I was out of work, 20 years old, and living in a small town. It was super effective back then. I was absolutely terrified. In the past few years it seems Slender Man has really taken over and a lot more people are aware of his presence, most of the younger crowd completely overlooking the fact that he was created on a forum…not actually a real folk lore.

Last year two girls attempted to murder their friend in real life all in the name of Slender Man. They were 12 years old and stabbed their friend 19 times, leaving her for dead. The young victim was rescued and hospitalized and survived. The two girls committed this crime because they believed that Slender Man was real, and this was the best way to get his approval.




I know this is a marble hornets movie, BUT it didn’t feel the same. It felt too polished. I know that’s a stupid thing to complain about but it’s the reason I didn’t enjoy the film. The youtube series was so raw and scary, you never quite caught a long enough glimpse of Slender Man, just enough to scare you silly. You’d watch a 4 minute video of static just knowing that at some point Slender Man was going to show up. It was so intense. Slender Man in this film is just too cgi-ish. It doesn’t feel real.
Always Watching follows three characters who work for a news station and are investigating home closures in the area. In one home they discover a family has seemingly disappeared. After finding a box of tapes in the basement, they watch them to find that the family was being stalked by a tall, faceless man wearing a suit. But now this strange figure is stalking the three main characters and they must hit the road and out run him to survive.


Milo, the main character who controls the camera (this film is obviously found footage) and first discovers Slender Man, is awful. Just awful. He stalks the female main character, Sara (played by Alexandra Breckenridge who is in AHS season 1 and 3) because she turned him down when he asked her out. He straight up stalks her. He’s miserable, rude, and a dick. Sara is a pill popper addict and the other man, Charlie, is just empty space.

The story itself is pointless, mundane, and nothing new. It doesn’t explain who Slender Man is, why he’s stalking these families, how to stop him etc.

I’m just going to stick with my wonderful memories of watching the original Marble Hornets videos, hunched over my laptop, chain smoking in the dark, terrified.

The only fun part I had with this movie was spotting Slendy ~~ just like Waldo.
4/10
Guys, I need to show some restraint. There are so many great horror movie themed t-shirts/hoodies etc. coming out right now and I'm just blindly throwing my money at it all. I've got like 7 things coming in the mail. Why can't this great stuff be available all year 'round so I don't have to spend all of October obsessively checking my bank account.

As you guys know Paranormal Activity: The Ghost Dimension comes out soon and they've been upping the game in advertising. The original Paranormal Activity house has gone up for sale, so the film makers decided to create an open house...


Amazing.
I would be devastated to realize it was all made up. When that mirror cracked I'd be handing over my cheque book like yes please I'll take it.
Read the full article here

Anyway, see you back here tomorrow for the start of "all-girl" movies!! Yeyyy!!! Girls!!!!
Stay Spooky!

No comments:

Post a Comment