Charlotte

Charlotte

Friday, October 9, 2015

DAY EIGHT - Unfriended (horror movie challenge - 31 days of horror)


So I actually wasn’t able to watch Unfriended yesterday because personal things came up, and then a bottle of yeast exploded like a fucking bomb inside our fridge (mitch is a home brewer) so I was up half the night trying to save my fridge and food. BUT today is Friday and I’ve obviously got no plans so I just finished Unfriended and then after I post this it’s onto the next film.

I did get a chance to catch the American Horror Story Hotel premier yesterday though (I don’t have cable so I’m always a day behind) and I fucking loved it. There was like 20 murders in the first episode! I love all the characters, I’m hooked on all the story lines and I’m ready for episode two. 

DAY EIGHT - UNFRIENDED (2014)
  
 
Unfriended was great! It wasn’t scary in any way shape or form but it was an addicting watch and I was thrilled. Directed by Levan Gabriadze, it revolves around one night where 6 friends are skyping but a stranger shows up in their chat claiming to be an acquaintance of theirs who was bullied to the point of committing suicide a year ago. The stranger, Laura, begins to torment each friend one by one, revealing horrible secrets about all of them. She plays with them in a very PG Saw like fashion causing all the friends to admit to the horrible things they had done and eventually they all start dying in violent fashion.

Obviously this film is not perfect by any means. The first half hour is completely boring. I hate Facebook, and watching someone else use Facebook is the most boring thing I could imagine.
The deaths don’t make any sense and are never explained. How are these kids dying? There’s a very loose explanation about ghosts possessing people who don’t confess their sins. But it’s not enough to make any real sense.


I also hated the kids. They were all terrible people! Cheating, rape, drugs, spreading awful rumors. You don’t feel any compassion for them while watching, you’re just like…yeah…you kinda deserve a curling iron shoved down your throat tbh. Millenials….amirite?

As far as movies similar to this goes, I still think The Den is better. BUT I credit Unfriended with being more realistic with their cameras. There are a few too many moments in The Den when I’m like HOW IS THIS BEING FILMED.

I would also like to give credit to the making of this film; each actor was in a separate room and they filmed the entire 80 minutes in one shot. I’m sure they had to do it a lot of times to get it right, but regardless that’s damn impressive. Production only took 16 days.

Anyway, it’s a fun ride, it’s exciting and very fast paced and I did have a really fun time watching it. Although watching it on my mac was super confusing. Probably won’t watch it again, probably wouldn’t recommend it but I don’t regret watching it and it was a fun easy flick for a Friday night.
7/10


SOFIA'S REVIEW:
Well hello there! Quick intro, my name is Sofia, and I am a 16-year-old budding horror enthusiast. My lovely friend Charlotte asked me to join her on her 31 day challenge, and I undoubtedly agreed, despite the fact that I am a total wimp. Since I am an aspiring writer, you could imagine my excitement when she asked me to co-write on her blog for this wonderful spooky month. You can find me on my personal blog, www.memoirsofanerdgirl.wordpress.com , and join me on my adventure of my life! Now, onto the review!
This is actually my second time watching this movie; I watched it during the summer. A re-watch helped open my eyes a bit.

The first time I saw this I really liked it. Gory as hell, and lots of suspense. It's all shot via the computer screen of our main character, Blaire Lily. Most of the movie is a group Skype call between her, her boyfriend, and a couple of their friends. One by one they are pitted against each other in a deadly game of "never have I ever" (never have I ever thought I would say that sentence) and killed by the ghost of a girl who had committed suicide after an embarrassing video of her was uploaded.


One of the things that annoyed me about this movie after a re-watch is the ghost. How can she have the ability to seemingly control the people making them commit suicide? Ghosts are normally attached to a certain spot, such as a home. How could she have such a wide range of control? I feel like it needs some changing around to make that more realistic or at least an explanation as to why the ghost of Laura is so strong.

I did enjoy the filming style, it was something I've never seen before, and I really got into it. If felt like I was the computer user at times which, of course, scared me shitless.
There was a ridiculous amount of screaming and loud, dramatic, crying. Which after a while got kind of annoying, especially when you get the whole epic sobbing and heaving breathing going on. It makes the dialogue hard to understand at points.

This movie reminded me a lot of paranormal activity for some reason, considering the fact that the plots are totally different and so is the film style.

I give this movie a 5/10. I'm learning to love the gore, a couple good jump scares, but it is really cheesy and dumb at some points.


Alright I'm going to get back to the challenge and watch day nine then go to bed and sleep for two days because I'm so fucking tired. Late night fridge cleaning is something I never want to experience again. 

Stay spooky!

gif credit

No comments:

Post a Comment