Charlotte

Charlotte

Saturday, October 3, 2015

DAY TWO - THE INNKEEPERS (horror movie challenge - 31 days of horror)

Day two of my re-watch week is the beautiful film The Innkeepers. It was a Friday and I was ready to watch horror movies all night, except I ended up in bed by 8pm watching The Innkeepers then falling asleep after. I don't know why I keep expecting more out of my Friday nights.

DAY TWO - THE INNKEEPERS (2011)


The Innkeepers is a film from 2011 written and directed by Ti West. Ti West also created The Sacrament which is a favorite of mine. This guy knows his shit.

The Innkeepers tells the story of Claire, played by Sara Paxton, and Luke, played by Pat Healy, who are working the last weekend shift at a historic inn that is about to go out of business. The inn has a ghostly history and two employees are determined to catch some proof for their website. Throughout the weekend they have three guests - a mother and child who have left the father, an old actress turned crystal healer/psychic, and an old man who demands to have a specific room on the third floor, even though the third floor is closed to guests. This job is my dream job - working in a basically empty haunted hotel, reading books and looking for ghosts.


Claire is an amazing character. She's so believable, likeable, and adorable. She's a big believer in the ghost that haunts the hotel. Madeline O'Malley hung herself and had her body hidden in the basement by her husband out of shame. Luke claims to have seen and heard the ghost but avoids going in to detail, while Claire is eager to experience the haunting. But she gets waaaay more than she bargained for.

The haunting that she experiences is realistic - piano music playing in an empty room, knocks and bangs coming from the basement, and a nightmare that may or may not be true in which she sees Madeline for the first time. Even at the end when everything kicks off, it still remains believable because there's nothing just crazy over the top.

The film is beautiful with a stunning score. It feels so old fashioned and classic. The scares are subtle and build all the way up to the ending which explodes with horror and violence and some nasty twists and turns. This movie is a slow, satisfying burn that keeps you hooked the whole way through, the first half filled with quirky humor and small scares, and the second half a full fledged horror film.

 
My favorite part of the film is near the end where Claire is running through the basement and she turns around to find the old man's bloody body slowly coming after her. That is nightmare inducing. And I love how the ghost of Madeline O'Malley is like a vintage, stereotypical ghost but still remains quite frightening.

This is a just a good, solid ghost film with great, believable characters molded by the hands of a talented director, and an ending leaving you wondering if any of it was real. It's even better than when I watched it the first time.
I give it a 9/10.

gif credit


SOFIA'S REVIEW:

Well hello there! Quick intro, my name is Sofia, and I am a 16-year-old budding horror enthusiast. My lovely friend Charlotte asked me to join her on her 31 day challenge, and I undoubtedly agreed, despite the fact that I am a total wimp. Since I am an aspiring writer, you could imagine my excitement when she asked me to co-write on her blog for this wonderful spooky month. You can find me on my personal blog, www.memoirsofanerdgirl.wordpress.com , and join me on my adventure of my life! Now, onto the review!


I wasn’t able to get into this movie as much, partly due to the fact I had to watch it over the course of many hours because I got interrupted halfway through. Another problem I had with it was the characterization, or lack there of.  I thought Claire was around 17 years old before it was mentioned she had dropped out of college. And that’s about all I know of our main character. Her name, her general age, and that she dropped out of college. Also, she uses a single bobby pin to pin back her bangs in the most unattractive way possible. Why, Claire, why. In order for me to really get involved in a movie or book, I need to know who I’m working with. Give some back-story, a happy memory, toss in a bit of angst and I am set. 

We have Claire, a college dropout employed at the Yankee Pedlar Inn. It’s the closing week; she and her co-worker Luke are staying overnight at the hotel while the owner is on a trip to Barbados. Luke has a soft spot for the paranormal, and is always trying to capture the hotel’s ghost, Madeline O’Malley, doing what ghosts do, aka moving chairs, slamming doors, and in general creeping everyone the fuck out. Unfortunately, no such luck. He claims to have seen the apparition before, but never with his camera on him. Claire latches on to his interest, and soon is also on the hunt for some spooky sightings. 


 Leanne Reese-Jones, an actor from Claire’s childhood, ends up checking in, much to our main character’s excitement. At one point, Claire delivers towels to Leanne’s room and then has a conversation while the woman is only wearing said towel. I’m sorry, but if an actor I loved (*cough*Tom Hiddleston*cough) showed up in my hotel and then attempted a normal conversation whilst dripping wet wearing a towel, I would not keep my cool I would promptly die. Leeann turns out to be rather bitchy, which causes Claire to leave. That would suck, to have your idol turn out to be a Grade A asshole. 

After the supernatural events become a bit more intense, (e.g. a very fake looking Madeline creeping on Claire while she slept) Leanne reveals herself to be not an actor, but an actor-turned-medium. Which confused me, but okay, you do you. She uses a weird crystal that ‘helps with the hard decisions in life’ to come to the conclusion that, under no circumstances, should they go in the basement.

Then, Claire and Luke get drunk and, whaddya know, GO IN THE FUCKING BASEMENT. Why, why would you do that? “Hey, some creepy shit has been going on and a medium specifically said the basement is dangerous. Let’s get our recording equipment and play a game of 20 questions with a spirit” “Yes! That is a fantastic idea!” No it is not sit your ass down and keep it out of the basement so maybe you’ll live. 


Madeline’s ex lover also shows up, and then kills himself. One question. Why would he get totally naked then slit his wrists in the bathtub? Somebody’s going to have to pull you out, why would you want your dead dangly bits all up in everyone’s face? Each to their own I guess.
Claire ends up getting trapped in the basement, and Madeline’s appearance sends her into such a state of panic that she dies of an asthma attack. The end.

Overall, I give this movie a 5/10. Wasn’t super scary and the character’s were hollow, but still worth a watch. A slow build to a frenzied climax is always nice, and worth a watch.

That's it from day two,
Stay Spooky ya'll!!
  
gif credit

No comments:

Post a Comment