Charlotte

Charlotte

Saturday, October 10, 2015

DAY NINE - Backcountry (horror movie challenge - 31 days of horror)

 
DAY NINE - BACKCOUNTRY (2014)


Backcountry was AMAZING. It's a Canadian horror film written and directed by Adam MacDonald and starring Missy Peregrym, Jeff Roop and Eric Balfour. It's based on the true events of Jacqueline Perry and Mark Jordan who were viciously attacked by a bear who preyed on humans in Northern Ontario, back in 2005. Jacqueline did not make it.

Backcountry focuses around Alex and Jenn, a couple who are going camping for the long weekend. Jenn is not a camper and is very wary of the dangers of the forest (like she should be) and Alex is a veteran camper who knows everything about the area (yeah right). But when the couple get lost, the forest comes alive with a human hunting bear and they must fight to get out alive.


This movie was so exciting! And proves to me that my flat out refusal to go camping is the right move. Nature is much scarier than any horror movie. And honestly out of the 8 movies I've watched so far this month, the scariest moment has been when Jenn and Alex are sleeping in the tent and the bear starts sniffing around them. I almost shit myself.

BUT....Alex is world class asshole. Let me tell you the many reasons he deserves to die:
  • Alex declines the map from the ranger. Claims he knows the land well enough even though he hasn't been there in years.
  • He secretly removes Jenn's cellphone from her backpack before they enter into the trail because he didn't want her on it the whole time.
  • When he first sees a bear paw print in the woods....he continues on.
  • When he sees a dead dear carcass that has clearly been ripped apart by a bear...he continues on.
  • He hurts his foot and decides to hang his freshly bloodied socks from a tree near their tent....knowing there's a bear nearby. 


I hated him. But I LOVED Jenn. Let me tell you the many reasons Jenn is a final girl in this fim and the ultimate bad ass:
  • When they realize they are lost, Jenn panics, but the next day she completely takes charge of the situation. This is a girl who has never been camping and is truly afraid, but she puts those emotions aside and works her ass off to get the two of them out of there. Meanwhile Alex is slowly turning into an emotional wreck.
  • She gets clawed by a bear and barely notices because she's so focused on saving her boyfriend.
  • At one point she actually manages to out run a bear for a short period of time.
  • She falls and gets a major head injury but still manages to climb a tree at night to hide.
  • She breaks her damn leg climbing down a waterfall but still manages to navigate her way out of the woods, and paddle a canoe to safety.
  • She only cries once when she's fighting to survive on her own.

There were a few plot holes and silly moments in this movie - the moment with the Irish tour guide was filled with stereotypes and awkward dialogue. And their backpacks didn't seem able to fit all the stuff they seemed able to carry.

 
But I loved it, I had a great time watching it, I was truly terrified by the bear. I felt deeply for Jenn and Alex and was rooting for them (not so much Alex). I actually cheered a few times when Jenn managed to pull something off. The scenery was absolutely stunning and did not make me want to leave my house at all, but I could take a second to appreciate how pretty it would be if I did.

Absolutely enjoyed it the whole way through, will definitely be recommending it aggressively. 10/10.


Not sure how I'm going to coordinate the next two movies and blog them because I actually have plans this weekend. Mitch is playing a show tonight which I'm going to and tomorrow is Friendsgiving. BUT I will figure it out. And hopefully Sofia can join us again too.

Stay spooky! And happy long weekend fellow Canadians!



1 comment:

  1. But even though I was inspired, I was also envious, a feeling I rarely experience.
    Helps with joint pain


    ReplyDelete