Charlotte

Charlotte

Thursday, October 29, 2015

DAY TWENTY-SEVEN - Freddy vs. Jason (horror movie challenge - 31 days of horror)

DAY TWENTY-SEVEN – FREDDY VS. JASON (2003)
Back in 2003 I was a young 14 year old budding horror fan who had spent the last 3 years devouring every horror film I could get my hands on. And then I saw a trailer on my TV for something that could not be true….Freddy vs. Jason….WHAT?! It was a fucking nightmare come true and I was so over the damn moon about it. Because I was 14 I couldn’t go alone, my poor Dad had to join me so I could get into the film. I brought a “GO JASON” sign because I decided I wanted Jason to win and I watched with absolute delight as the film unfolded in front of me. My poor Dad hated every moment of it, but bless him for putting up with his 14 year old little girl cheering on a mentally undeveloped serial killer. It was everything I hoped for and to this day remains one of my favorite horror films. In fact, in 2013 for its ten year anniversary, I watched the movie 10 times throughout the year in its honor.



I know this movie gets a lot of flak but I don’t give a shit. I think it’s brilliant. So shut up and let me talk about it.
Freddy vs. Jason was originally titled A Nightmare on Friday the 13th, which I love just as much, it was directed by Ronny Yu (Bride of Chucky) and is obviously the amazing crossover of Friday the 13th and A Nightmare on Elm Street.

Freddy, obviously played by Robert Englund, is now unable to haunt people’s dreams and cause pain. This is because everyone in the town has forgotten about Freddy and who he is. We know that Freddy needs this power, this fear, to be strong. The parents of the town have worked hard to get the kids to forget about him, and if anyone remembers, they’re put in a mental hospital and drugged with a medication that stops them from dreaming.

gif credit
Freddy decides to manipulate Jason (played by Ken Kirzinger who I got to meet at the Rue Morgue festival and was an absolute gentlemen) and resurrects him, he uses him to cause panic in the kids by killing them. This leads the police to think that Freddy has come back and soon rumors are flying among the town. The kids are starting to remember who Freddy was and therefore he’s getting his power back. But unfortunately for Freddy, Jason is enjoying killing too much and now the two are battling for victims, with the kids in the town stuck in the middle of this horrific conflict. The final showdown happens at Camp Crystal Lake and it’s all you could’ve ever wanted as a fan of both Freddy and Jason.
It’s the last film in both franchises before both films were rebooted and is also the final appearance of Robert Englund playing Freddy. It also stars Monica Keena in the lead role of Lori, Kelly Rowland as her best friend, the always amazing Katharine Isabelle as her other best friend, and Jason Ritter as the love of her life.


Freddy vs. Jason had been planned since 1987, but due to licensing issues and studios failing to agree, it took a long time to get to us. It took more than 15 years of off-and-on planning and $6 million spent in unused scripts. Of course, there were several endings discussed but I think the one they went with does justice to everyone involved.
This is a film made for the fans. Only fans of both franchises will get anything out of this movie, if you’re coming in with new eyes it’s probably pretty stupid to watch. But I love the absolute shit out of this movie and basically know the whole thing off by heart. It also cemented my love for Jason over Freddy. I’m just such a sap, and poor Jason when Freddy is pretending to be Pamela. I was legit sobbing. Love you forever and always my spirit animal!
Anyway, I love this film to pieces. 10/10 forever and always. 
Guys, I've fallen a day behind! This cold has kicked my ass to hell and back. I'm watching Sinister right now, which I was supposed to watch last night. So I might also be able to sneak in The Purge (Ethan Hawke double bill ya'll) but if not, I'll watch The Purge tomorrow along with Psycho. So, bare with me....I am so close to the finish line I can almost taste it. I'm determined. Just four more movies!! 
Tomorrow is my History of Horror presentation. I just did a quick run through and I think it's going to be great. I decorated the office today for Halloween and I've got my Jason jersey all ready to go. 
Wish me luck!!

Stay spooky!

No comments:

Post a Comment