Charlotte

Charlotte

Saturday, October 24, 2015

DAY TWENTY-TWO - The Guest (horror movie challenge - 31 days of horror)

I'm a day behind and coming to you live from a laundromat! Thursday night I was supposed to watch The Guest but instead got distracted by a documentary Mitch turned on about aliens on the moon. So last night I thought, perfect, I'll just watch two movies. Instead, I watched half of The Guest, had it turned off for the Jays game, then finished it, then watched My Name is Earl.
BUT! Now I'm only a day behind. And it's Saturday so I've got all afternoon to watch two horror films. And tomorrow I'm doing absolutely nothing except carving pumpkins - so I'll be all caught up no problem.
Tonight I'm going to Fright Nights, which is our local haunted house place with like 5 haunts and rides and food and stuff so I'm pretty excited!

DAY TWENTY-TWO - THE GUEST (2014)

More thriller than horror, directed by Adam Wingard (You're Next) and starring Dan Stevens. It follows David, a war veteran who has arrived at the house of a family whose son died in the war. David lets them know that their son Caleb asked him to take care of them in case he died. The family welcomes him in, especially the mother, Mrs. Peterson. There are two kids, Luke and Anna. Luke becomes fond of David very quickly after David destroys Luke's bullies. Anna starts to fall for him. But then people around the family keep dying and Anna begins to look into who David really is, only to find out that "David" had died a week prior in a fire. Now the military are involved and David is panicking.


gif credit
The overall tone of this film was wonderful - a great score, beautiful imagery, a haunting performance by David. David is so devastatingly handsome but you can instantly tell there's something off about him. David is kind of like Norman Bates where you can never quite tell if he's joking or not, and he's so unnerving.

What I didn't love about this film was the sort of...plot twist? The reality of what David really was. It went from a mysterious thriller to an action film in the last half hour and it lost me. Maybe I had different expectations going in, thinking it would be more like...David's a total nut case here to stalk this family. But it's all very military, secret government programs etc. Which I just don't love unless it's an episode of The X-Files.

image credit 
I know the film was specifically structured as a horror film, but meant to be more of a thriller, but for me that just didn't work. Maybe I need to re-watch it with fresh eyes and no expectations and I would enjoy it more. And hopefully not have to take a break half way through to watch the Jays lose.

6/10

image credit
Alright, I've got three movies to watch this weekend to keep on track and one of them is Insidious 3. The other two - I have no idea what to watch. I've gone so far off my original list. I'll just scroll through itunes and see what's new. Maybe The Final Girls?
FIND OUT ON MY NEXT POST!
My first ever cliff hanger....

Also check out this awesome new shirt I got from TeeFury


I've gotta go finish my laundry and buy some pumpkins to carve!

Stay Spooky ya'll!

No comments:

Post a Comment