Charlotte

Charlotte

Sunday, October 18, 2015

DAY SEVENTEEN - Cooties (horror movie challenge - 31 days of horror)

DAY SEVENTEEN - COOTIES (2014)



I've been waiting so long for this film!! I just loved the silly concept of it; a group of teachers are trapped inside of a school after tainted chicken nuggets turn the children into flesh eating zombies. The movie was written by Ian Brennan (co-creator of Glee and Scream Queens) and Leigh Whannell (writer of Saw, Insidious and Dead Silence), directed by Cary Murnion and Jonathan Milott. It has a great cast including horror favorite Elijah Wood and Rainn Wilson, also Jack McBrayer, Alison Pill and Nasim Pedrad. It was produced by Elijah Wood's production company Spectre Vision.

It's really funny! Elijah Wood is subbing for the day, trying to pay the bills, because in his every day life he's a "writer from New York", which he brings up at every second. He's back living with his mom in the small town of Fort Chicken which he grew up in. The book he's writing is about a possessed boat. "Like Christine," "....what?". But when a child in his class bites the face off of another, shit gets real.

image credit 
The teachers are amazing and all given enough screen time to truly show of their comedic talents. The kids are minor characters, just zombies to be killed, which I kind of love. In fact, the kids before they turn are already monsters - cell phone using, foul mouthed, asshole monsters. Which is pretty much how I see them anyway. Then when they turn they become mindless blood thirsting monsters. Which is also how I see them anyway.

The movie is filled with stereotypical horror movie tropes but they do it in a fun way that stops you from rolling your eyes. I mean, zombies themselves have been completely played out but Cooties gives a tiny bit of fresh air into the genre.


I had a really fun time watching it, and so did Mitch who watched it with me. We were both laughing quite a bit, especially in the first half. My only complaint is the movie felt so long. Near the end both of us were kind of sitting there like, is this still happening? There were a tone of scenes that could've been cut. It would've been way more fun if it was a quick horror comedy romp, but the length felt exhausting near the end and took me out of the experience.

But like I've said, I had a tone of fun watching it and I'll watch it again for sure. Go rent it on itunes!

8/10

gif credit

 Anway, I'm off to go eat a dairy free, gluten free pizza because my life is the worst and food allergies are not fun. But I am super excited I finally found a "cheese" "pizza". See you back here tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment