Charlotte

Charlotte

Sunday, October 4, 2015

DAY THREE - YOU'RE NEXT (horror movie challenge - 31 days of horror)


This was one re-watch I was really waiting for. I had to stop myself from re-watching it all last month because I just remember this film being so great and so much fun. And luckily, it was even better the second time around. So let's jump right into it.

DAY THREE - YOU'RE NEXT (2011/2013)


Oh you guys, this is such a great movie. Home invasions scare the ever living shit out of me - show me any alien or ghost film, show me serial killers, idgaf. Show me a home invasion however and I'm fucking terrified. But You're Next gives me a sense of comfort because our main character, Erin, is so goddamn BAD ASS. She is the ultimate final girl and it makes me believe that maybe I could also use a blender to kill someone in a home invasion.

You're Next was released independently in 2011 at TIFF but wasn't released for everyone to view easily until 2013. Directed by Adam Wingard (whose film The Guest we will watch later this month) and starring Sharni Vinson in our lead role of Erin aka an Australian goddess.

The first part of the film introduces us to a family with adult children and their spouses showing up to this gorgeous rustic mansion in the middle of the nowhere for what I'm assuming is just a weekend away. But the mother hears someone upstairs as soon as she arrives at the house and things go downhill from there. In the mothers defense, she did the right thing. She went straight outside and begged her husband to leave, but instead he goes upstairs and does a half ass sweep of the house. Ya'll...when you think there is someone in your house you need to either gtfo and call the police, or make sure you search every damn corner of that house. This morning I woke up because I heard someone running through my yard. I was so damn unnerved by the whole thing I couldn't fall back asleep until I was sure the door was locked. Even then, I was up for the day.


image credit
The first kill happens 27 minutes in and from there on it's just a blood bath. In the best way. The family fights to survive with Erin holding ground, using anything and everything as a weapon. The murders are brutal to say the least - a wire is hung across the front door so when one girl goes running out of the house, her throat is instantly slit. Erin bludgeons one guy to death with a meat tenderizer. And now I'm wondering if I have enough potential weapons in my kitchen.

Erin fights to the bitter end only to find that the whole thing had been a set up by two of the brothers, one of them being her boyfriend. They had paid some guys to murder their family so the two of them could split the inheritence. But unfortunately for them Erin is next level bad ass and gives them a run for their money. A run that involves a blender to the head and a screwdriver to the eye.


gif credit
The film is just a blast all the way through and the ending is probably one of my top three favorite horror movie endings. Just so satisfying and morbidly funny.

There's also two fun cameos in this film - the guy who gets an arrow to the head? Ti West, the director of our last movie we watched. And the tiger mask wearing killer is the writer of You're Next; Simon Barrett.

I will aggressively recommend this film and Erin is one of the best final girls ever. I give You're Next a solid 10/10.

gif credit

SOFIA'S REVIEW:

Well hello there! Quick intro, my name is Sofia, and I am a 16-year-old budding horror enthusiast. My lovely friend Charlotte asked me to join her on her 31 day challenge, and I undoubtedly agreed, despite the fact that I am a total wimp. Since I am an aspiring writer, you could imagine my excitement when she asked me to co-write on her blog for this wonderful spooky month. You can find me on my personal blog, www.memoirsofanerdgirl.wordpress.com , and join me on my adventure of my life! Now, onto the review!

Holy. Crap. I loved this movie!!!
I'm normally not a huge fan of the gory slasher flicks, but this was awesome.

We start out in a very fancy home, with two people doing the do. Of course, we all know they're going to die because as soon as people start having sex in horror movies, they've dug their own grave. The man finishes the nasty, takes a shower, and then when he comes out, he sees a backwards message of "You're Next" scrawled across the sliding glass door. Camera shifts focus, and it turns out his lady friend is dead on the ground and the message is written from her side of the door. Dude then proceeds to die. Yay!


Switch scene, older white couple arrive at fancy house we later realize is next door to the previous murder site. They're organizing a get together with their three sons, one daughter, and the respective boyfriend/girlfriends.
Fast forward a bit, the whole family arrives. We see some typical sibling rivalry, especially between Drake, or Douchebag A as we will call him and the chubby brother named Crispian. Why the hell did you name your poor child Crispian!? That's just asking for him to be beaten up.

The whole family sits down to a lovely happy meal. Some typical white family arguments take place, but quickly ends because oh no! Aimee the daughters boyfriend Tariq has been shot in the face with an arrow!
Ensue with the entire family screaming, Drake also gets shot in the shoulder.

The whole family huddles, while Erin, Crispian's girlfriend, seems to be calm and take charge. Aimee decides to make a run for the cars, as she is fastest. Cue slow motion running out of house as Dad and brother slow motion open the doors, then run right into a wire that slits her throat and kills her. 2 down, 8 to go!

Mommy become distraught, so is brought upstairs to lie down. Once alone, one of the assailants is found to be in her room and kills her with an axe.

The plot just continues to thicken. We find out that Felix, one of the brothers, and his girlfriend Zee hired the assassins in order to gain the extensive family inheritance. Gasp!
The drama and murders just build and build and build, becoming gorier and more amazing each and every time. Erin is a survivalist and Final Girl, I am super smitten with her. The ending was amazing, although the very last scene was predictable.

Overall, I give this movie a 9/10 and sincerely thank it for reconsidering my stance on slasher movies!


Well, that's a screwdriver in the eye for day three. See you tomorrow for day four! 
Stay Spooky ya'll! 




No comments:

Post a Comment