Charlotte

Charlotte

Monday, October 12, 2015

DAY TEN - Curse of Chucky (horror movie challenge - 31 days of horror)

Well we had a little switcharoo because the movies we'd originally planned for the next few days were too hard to find. So I dug through my Netflix list and chose some different ones. Today's movie is Curse of Chucky. I am a MASSIVE fan of Chucky and all his movies. So obviously I've already seen this movie and own it on DVD but it was actually only my second time watching it. I threw on my Chucky t-shirt, grabbed my Chucky doll and got down to business.





DAY TEN - CURSE OF CHUCKY (2013)


This movie is so great. I love when franchises really pay attention to the original films and put in tiny details that franchise fans can obsess over. This is the reason I love the Final Destination franchise so much. Curse of Chucky was a straight to VOD written and directed by Don Mancini who created the franchise we know and love. Brad Dourif returns as the voice of Chucky and as the human version of Charles Lee Ray, whose soul is trapped inside of the doll.

The family in this movie are actually tied to Charles Lee Ray as we find out later on in the film that Charles knew the mother and kidnapped her while she was pregnant with her second child. In modern day, Chucky gets mysteriously mailed to this family and the mother mysteriously dies. The night before the funeral Chucky is unleashed on the house and goes on his murderous rampage.


gif credit
Our final girl is played by Fiona Dourif (daughter of Brad Dourif!), and she does a great job of fighting off Chucky. Unfortunately at the end she succumbs to insanity and is blamed for all the murders. The deaths in this film are far more subtle and less violent than the original films which is surprising. But overall the story is super fun and full of great easter eggs. The ending is amazing, with Jennifer Tilly showing up to rescue Chucky from the police and then mailing him to the little girl he was trying to put his soul into before our final girl stopped him.

My favorite part about all of these movies is how damn long it takes the family to realize the doll is moving on its own. Anytime anything in my house is out of place I notice it instantly and am convinced there's a ghost. Chucky wouldn't get past me. The only part I didn't love about this film is that Chucky doesn't even talk until about 40 minutes in. Chucky's one-liners and his evil giggle are the best parts about these films, so this one felt lacking. Although my absolute favorite part of this film is when the little girl goes, "Chucky, I'm scared." and he responds with "you fucking should be."

Don announced on twitter that there will be a Chucky 7, I haven't heard anything else about it so we'll see. I'm always down for more of my favorite franchise films. I honestly don't care how bad they are, I'll keep watching.

BTW if you watch this on Netflix they're actually missing the post credit scenes which is almost the best part! I'll post it below:


I love the Chucky films, always have, always will and this is just a great addition to the family. Although it's not the best one, it's nice to have a new movie so many years later that was put into the right hands to create it. 8/10.


gif credit

I'll post Sofia's review when she sends it over. Happy thanksgiving fellow Canadians!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment