Charlotte

Charlotte

Saturday, October 15, 2016

Day 13 - The Good Son - October Horror Movie Challenge

THE GOOD SON (1993)


I'm leaving you now so I never have to leave you again....2 weeks, could be less...

Mark is a young boy who has just lost his mother to cancer. His father has a business trip for two weeks to Tokyo but he doesn't want to leave his son during the grieving process. The father's brother convinces him to go because this Tokyo deal would cement his future and would able him to provide for Mark fully. The uncle offers to take Mark for the two weeks and the father agrees.

Mark is dropped off with his uncle and moves in. The uncle has a wife and two kids; a young girl named Connie and a son the same age as Mark, Henry.

The two boys are off to a strong start and are playing well. Henry shows Mark his tree house and his shed where he is building a cross bow. He takes him around the town and shows him all the best spots to play in. Mark fits in with the family well and enjoys a special bond with Connie and her mother.


But soon Mark begins to worry about Henry and how strange the boy is. Henry is obsessed with death and his reactions to situations are incredibly bizarre. And after Henry kills a dog and makes Mark help him dump the body, and then Mark finds out about Henry's younger brother Richard who died in a bathtub mysteriously....Mark begins to worry for his safety. But who will believe a young boy?

Alright...so what did I love about this movie?
  • Incredible acting chops on display from a young Elijah Wood and Macaulay Culkin. I'm a massive Elijah Wood supporter, mainly because FRODO and also he's such a cheerleader for the horror genre.
  • Beautiful scenery - I love Maine purely because of Stephen King. This amazing house right on the ocean is my goddamn dream. If only it was also haunted. And maybe Stephen was my neighbor.
  • The scene where they throw a fake body off of a bridge and cause this massive accident was so fucking crazy!!!!!! "I feel sorry for you Mark, you just don't know how to have fun."
  • Also I'm obsessed with Henry keeping cigarettes in a well in a graveyard, like...did they take that scene from my own childhood?!
  • THAT ENDING....so fucking well done, so shocking, so unexpected. A goddamn Sophie's choice.

What I didn't love?
  • Those parents were so oblivious. I mean Henry was NUTS and they were blind to it all. And Mark comes to them to tell them Connie's accident wasn't an accident and gets SLAPPED? Come on. Delusional. And when the mom finally goes into Henry's shed and completely ignores the doll hanging from a noose but instead gets upset by the rubber duck. I MEAN.
Overall?
Guys, I've fallen behind. I'm two days behind schedule. BUT DON'T FEAR! There's a massive storm covering our city right now, the final after two previous ones so I have locked the doors and windows and am watching all three horror movies today to get caught back up! But I'll also be posting a few times today sooooooo that's my bad.

Frankly, I loved this movie. It's a great little sleeper. Ya'll know I hate children but this movie was so great and I wasn't irritated once by the children. The little girl Connie...I spent the whole movie fascinated by how much she looked like Culkin and I was like props to the casting department. But I've just learned that Connie was played by Quinn Culkin. Sooooo.....that's on me. Side not; how many fucking Culkin kids are there?! Actually I just googled to find that out and instead got distracted by the fact that Quinn is actually dead. She died in 2008 in a car accident. Jessssussss.


Alright, let's get back to the movie. It's great! It's a shame more people don't know about this movie because it's truly creepy and well done. But when this movie was planned to be released the absolutely tragic James Bulger case happened and this movie was sent straight to video.

I loved it!

7/10

Alright, I'm gonna get back to the next two movies and continue on in the 90's themed week. Unless my power goes out which is possible because this storm is nuts and my lights keep flickering. Wish me luck!

Stay spooky!


No comments:

Post a Comment