Charlotte

Charlotte

Sunday, October 23, 2016

Day 22 - Crimson Peak - October Horror Movie Challenge

CRIMSON PEAK (2015)


A house as old as this one becomes, in time, a living thing. It starts holding onto things... keeping them alive when they shouldn't be. Some of them are good; some of them bad... Some should never be spoken about again. 

When Edith was young her mother passed away but returned to her as a ghost to warn her against "Crimson Peak". As an adult Edith is a budding horror writer, not being taken seriously. She is being courted by a young Doctor by the name of Alan but she has no interest in getting married, only becoming a writer. When Thomas and Lucille Sharpe arrive from London, the whole town is ablaze with who Thomas will pick as a suitor. He reads Edith's novel and loves it, in turn falling in love with her. Edith, for the first time, finds herself falling in love as well.

But Edith's father is against this courtship and when he finds some troubling news of the Sharpe's past, he pays Thomas and Lucille to leave and to break Edith's heart. Thomas does so, but soon after Edith's father is violently murdered, pushing her into the arms of Thomas.


Thomas and his sister take Edith away to their family home in England, an old decrepit mansion in the middle of nowhere, built on top of a clay mine. The house is falling apart and red clay oozes from every crack, the house itself is slowly sinking into the ground.

Edith begins to see terrifying spirits around the house and begins to get sicker and sicker. But what is causing it all? And why is Lucille so strange? And what is really buried beneath the house in the old clay mind?


Alright...what did I love about this movie?
  • WHAT DIDN'T I LOVE? Good lord. This movie is amazing. 
  • The scenery and sets are breathtakingly beautiful and the costumes are so delicate and gorgeous.
  • The acting is incredible and the script is just mind blowing. "The things we do for love like this are ugly, mad, full of sweat and regret. This love burns you and maims you and twists you inside out. It is a monstrous love and it makes monsters of us all." 
  • All the ghosts were terrifying and haunting. The opening scene with Edith's mother returning was so scary. And there was one particular scene where Edith thinks her dog has locked itself in a room but instead it's a ghost and it had me covered in goosebumps.
  • Lucille is so amazingly terrifying and the final scene where she's chasing Edith through the snow was just breathtaking.
  • When Edith's father is murdered it is shockingly violent but somehow still fits within the film.
What I didn't love?
  • Please.

Overall?

I'm a huge Guillermo del Toro fan and it frustrates me to no end that Hollywood doesn't allow this man to make as many movies as he wants. He's constantly being shut down or not funded and I just can't understand why. Pacific Rim is one of my top 5 favorite films of all time, and I'm not gonna lie in saying that Crimson Peak might be up there too. Guillermo is a master of horror and visuals and he is a god send. His imagination must be protected at all costs.

I'm ashamed it took me so long to watch Crimson Peak, but I'll admit it was because I was worried it would suck. A lot of people didn't like it and I was bummed about that. But now that I've seen it, I don't understand why? This movie is a beautiful masterpiece. I want to wrap myself up in the story, I want to run around in long flowing dresses wielding a knife, and I want to live in that beautiful, haunted mansion.


Crimson Peak was built entirely for this movie and I'm so glad this came to be because it brought such a real feel to this story. Unfortunately they had to tear it down after filming which is depressing because I would sell my soul to Guillermo to live there.

This is an amazing ghost story and I can't wait to watch it again!

10/10

Tonight is the premier of the walking dead ya'll! I haven't watched since season 4 because I hated the way the show was going, but Negan has arrived and it looks like Rick's hand is about to get cut off....so I'm back on board!

Stay Spooky!


No comments:

Post a Comment