Charlotte

Charlotte

Friday, October 7, 2016

Day 6 - 10 Cloverfield Lane - October Horror Movie Challenge

10 CLOVERFIELD LANE (2016)


"There's been an attack." "What?" "An attack, a big one. I'm not sure yet if it's chemical or nuclear but down here we're safe..."

(There will be major spoilers so skip if you don't want to be spoiled)

Michelle is running from something, she's packed up all her bags and she's left an engagement ring behind and she's driving away. In the car she gets a call from Ben who's clearly her ex-fiance begging her to come back. But Michelle's car gets hit by a truck and when she wakes up she's chained to a pipe. A man comes in and lets her know she's safe, there's been an attack and the world outside has basically come to an end. But he saved her. He lets her unchain herself and introduces himself as Howard.

When Michelle is shown the rest of the place she realizes she's in an underground bunker with Howard and another guy Emmett. Michelle is instantly suspicious of Howard, not really believing that the world has ended outside, and when he shows her outside all she really sees is his truck with blood on it. But later on she manages to steal his keys and as she attempts to escape, a woman appears at the hatch window covered in blisters and blood acting insane. After that Howard confesses to Michelle that he did hit her car with his truck but it was a complete accident, he was rushing home after hearing about the attack. He felt bad so he brought her home with him and saved her.


So now that the world is ending, and Michelle, Emmett and Howard have to live in this shelter until it's safe to leave they begin to get comfortable and play board games, watch movies, and fall into a routine. But why does Howard keep bringing up his daughter Meghan? And why does the photo he has of her look like a girl named Britney who went missing two years ago? And what are those strange noises the group are hearing coming from outside?

Alright...so what did I love about this movie?
  • Amazing score throughout and the few songs that play - excellent choices. Try not getting "I think we're alone now" stuck in your head after watching this movie.
  • Beautifully shot. When I was taking screen caps I just wanted to screen cap every scene.
  • Claustrophobic, incredibly tense....at times I felt like I couldn't breathe and at other times I was screaming for the characters. 
  • The scene where Howard shoots Emmett, I straight up yelled out loud. I was in shock and had to pause the movie for a bit to get over it.
  • Great story line, great performances by all three - especially Howard. When Howard snaps it's horrifying and so well done. John Goodman is at his finest here. Mary Elizabeth Winstead absolutely brought it to this movie too.
 
What I didn't love?
  • Nothing! This movie was flawless to me.
Overall? 

I've been waiting for this movie for so long, HOLY CRAP, and now I've finally watched it and I already want to watch it again. A few people at my work saw this movie in the theaters and all of them gave me bad reviews. But I was convinced I would like it. AND I WAS RIGHT. I still remember watching that teaser trailer back in January and being in shock. I couldn't believe it was actually happening. And it didn't disappoint me at all. I was on the edge of my seat the whole time and the ending was so fucking good. I was screaming with joy and fear and just being so wrapped up in the story. ALIENS MOTHERFUCKKKKEERRRRR!!!!!!!!!

This was the directorial debut of Dan Trachtenberg and I can't even believe it. Give this man a million more movies. It was stunningly beautiful!


10/10

Stay spooky!


No comments:

Post a Comment