Charlotte

Charlotte

Monday, October 10, 2016

Day 9 - Frozen - October Horror Movie Challenge

FROZEN (2010)


"Parker, you broke the first rule." "What?" "You can't talk about real life shit while we're up here. The whole point of being here is to forget all about that shit and relax and enjoy ourselves."

(There will be major spoilers so skip if you don't want to be spoiled)

Lynch, Dan and his girlfriend Parker are out at the ski hill for a day riding the slopes. Lynch is kind of pissed that Dan brought Parker because all Dan has been doing lately is hanging out with his girlfriend and Lynch just wants some time alone with his best bud. After Parker manages to bribe the lift attendant to let the three of them on the lift for cheap, they spend their day skiing and snowboarding. At the end of the day they decide they want one more go at the slope but the ski lift is being closed down early because of bad weather setting in.

Once again Parker convinces the lift attendant to let them have one more ride, promising they'll come down quickly. He lets them go but after a mix up at the bottom, the lift attendant leaves and the next one is convinced it's all good to close. They shut down the ski lift with the three college students still half way up the mountain. Stuck up on the ski lift, the three are sure it's just a breakdown and proceed to wait it out.

But once the ski hill lights turn off and the storm comes in, the three realize they're stuck up there. It's Sunday night and the skill hill doesn't open up again until Saturday. With five days of no one around ahead of them, and the sounds of wolves closing in....will they survive the night?


Alright...so what did I love about this movie?

  • Oh boy, this was a great film! It was one of the more intense films I've watched so far this month. My heart was pounding while watching.
  • The scene when Dan jumps and breaks both his legs, I was gasping for air because I forgot to breathe while it was happening. And when the wolves start to circle I was freaking out. Such a great scene.
  • The fact that Dan's death scene wasn't even shown, but we just witness it through the eyes of his two friends was super well done.
  • Parker gets hysterical but it's not annoying in any way, it feels natural for the situation and doesn't get over the top.
  • OMG THAT HAND SCENE YA'LL....that was disgusting. I was gagging.
  • The ending was satisfying without being cheesey.

What I didn't love?

  • These motherfuckers were not utilizing their winter clothing at all. I am an individual who feels the cold way deep down in my bones, and after living in Labrador for four years I am quite friendly with -40 weather. In fact I have had frost bite in my toes and now my toes are basically always cold, the blood doesn't run well through them. And let me tell you....I know how to make the most out of your winter clothing. This idiot, Parker, had her jacket open at the top, wide open. Velcro that shit up properly and it will cover your cheeks and nose. She was wearing a scarf...wrap that shit around your face. Make sure those sleeves are tightly velcroed to not let any air in. I mean....come on. When they started getting frost bite I was like...well....you didn't really work hard at staying warm...

Overall?

What a lovely surprise this film was! I was going into it with low expectations because how awesome could a movie be really with three people stuck on a ski lift? Turns out pretty freakin' awesome. It was so much fun to watch and it was so damn intense. Not once was I questioning their decisions (except the ski wear, see above) and I was on the edge of my seat the whole time. Great cast, great story line, and the wolves were not fucking around on that mountain.

The craziest thing about this movie? They actually filmed it on a ski lift 50 feet in the air. Could you imagine showing up on your first day of work like...where's the green screen?

This is just a great little film written and directed by Adam Green and I highly recommend it!

8/10

Stay spooky!


No comments:

Post a Comment