Charlotte

Charlotte

Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Day 24 - Rec 2 - October Horror Movie Challenge

REC 2 (2009)


We have to tape everything...

Rec 2 picks up a few minutes after Rec ends. Dr. Owen and a team of GEO's are equipped with video cameras and sent into the apartment where we last saw all of its residents go nuts and turn into rabies infested zombie things. Quite quickly things get out of hand and when Martos, one of the GEO's is attacked, Dr. Owen pulls out a rosary and starts performing what seems to be an exorcism on him. The GEO's freak out and demand to know the truth as they're unable to leave the building until Dr. Owen lets them out with a voice controlled system. He admits that he's really a priest sent from the Vatican to receive a blood sample from the girl who started all of this; Tristana Medeiros.

That's right. It's not zombies. It's DEMONS!!!!


They head up to the penthouse where the last movie ended but Tristana isn't there. Larra, another GEO climbs through a secret hatch and finds the original sample of blood that the priest is looking for but during a religious rite on the blood to test its authenticity, the blood is dropped and destroyed.

This leaves only one option - to get a blood sample from Tristana herself.

But where is she? And who are those unaffected teenagers running around with a camera? And how deep is the Vatican involved in all of this?

Alright...what did I love about this movie?
  • I loved the twist from the first to the second. The first was a goddamn great zombie flick and instead of the sequel being more of the same it twisted the whole genre on its head. 
  • Dr. Owen was great - super intense and creepy.
  • The effects as always were really well done.
  • The cameras made sense in this movie - usually with found footage you're like screaming at them going DROP THE CAMERA IDIOTS AND RUN, but in this movie every reason for the footage made sense.
  • The final scene in the dark was terrifying and suspenseful.
  • And the twist at the very end was so good and I didn't expect it at all.


 What I didn't love?
  • The blood thing confused me - they kept going on about taking the blood samples but then the person they were trying to take it from would die and they would freak out and go find someone else. Why couldn't they take the blood from a dead person? 
  • The teenagers were SUPER annoying. SO HYSTERICAL. I just wanted to smack them.
Overall?

Rec scared the ever loving shit out of me. I watched it about 5 years ago and those final scenes with Tristana gave me fucking nightmares. So I was hesitant to watch Rec 2 because I can secretly be a scaredy cat. But I finally took the time to dig through Shudder and saw that on there and instantly decided that was the movie for tonight.

This is a great sequel and I can't wait to check out the rest of the films!

9/10


Alright, so I changed up the last week of movies because my week got INSANE at work and I have my Halloween event on Friday and then fly out Saturday morning so I needed some easier, more low key movies. And most of them are on Netflix so I don't have to fuss around with downloading them. So if you were following along with the list, I apologize.

Here's the updated final week:

HALLOWEEN WEEK
Oct 24th - REC 2 (2009)
Oct 25th - Jaws 2 (1978)
Oct 26th - Jaws 3 (1983)
Oct 27th - Jaws the Revenge (1987)
Oct 28th - Christine (1983)
Oct 29th - An American Werewolf in London (1981)
Oct 30th - Halloween 3 (1982)
Oct 31st - Halloween (remake) (2007)

Stay Spooky!






No comments:

Post a Comment