Charlotte

Charlotte

Friday, December 30, 2016

Ouija Origin of Evil - horror movie realness day five

OUIJA ORIGIN OF EVIL 2016


"She's part of the walls now. And she told me the most wonderful, awful things."

In 1967, Alice and her two young girls run a scam seance business, but they believe they're doing it to help people. Alice's husband recently passed and so the three of them are still dealing with their own grief while they help others with theirs. Lina, her oldest daughter, suggests they incorporate a Ouija board after she played with one at a party. After Alice buys one she accidentally contacts a spirit who possesses the youngest daughter Doris.

Doris uses the board and believes it's her father contacting them and after the house is about to get foreclosed, and the father's spirit leads them to find money hidden in the walls, they all believe the father is reaching out to them.

Believing Doris is a true medium, they continue on with their business only now it's for real. But Doris is writing letters in Polish and acting stranger and stranger, letting other voices use her own.

Will they discover who Marcus is and why he has possessed Doris? And what else is hidden in the basement walls?


Alright...what did I love about this movie?
  • The scenes where Doris looks through the planchette are super creepy.
  • It feels incredibly time accurate and Flanagan even included some old fashioned cigarette burns on the film.
  • I like the whole concept and story.
What didn't I love?
  • The CG was totally out of place and ruined the film for me. It just didn't fit with the theme of what they were trying to portray.
  • The last few seconds of the film were AWFUL.

 
Overall

So you probably remember (hahahaha....no you don't...but don't worry) when I attempted to watch Ouija last year. I was so angered that I turned it off half way through. It was an absolute pile of insulting garbage. It was TERRIBLE. GARBAGE. So I had no interest in the sequel until I heard Mike Flanagan was directing it (Hush, Oculus, Before I Wake). And even then I was pretty hesitant. BUT...the reviews coming out were mostly positive so here we are.

And look...it was good. I'm a sucker for movies set in the 60's and 70's so I was thrilled with that but I also couldn't help but compare it to Annabelle and The Conjuring, two movies that were far better than this one.


The story was great, I was super confused at the end but once I read the wiki plot for Ouija I was back on board. But I can't get past the CG. It was annoying and awful and there was so many shots of Doris crawling around and screaming and being all distorted and the CG just made it so out of place for the time.

The scares were minimal, but maybe for the average horror viewer they were good. I liked the characters a lot and fell in loved with Alice.

But, yeah....it's alright. Please don't make a third that I'll feel forced to watch.

7/10

Tomorrow is New Year's Eve and as you know Mitch agreed to stay home and take part in......


I spent some time today going through my Shudder to-watch list, got distracted by the making of 31 for an hour, then got back to the list. But in the end I've decided I'm just going to let Mitch pick as that will be more fun. He can dig through our extensive horror DVD collection or go through Netflix. I'll report back with what he picked and what he thought.

See you tomorrow for the last two movies on the list!

Stay Spooky!






No comments:

Post a Comment