Charlotte

Charlotte

Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Lights Out - horror movie realness day two

LIGHTS OUT 2016


 "If Mom's crazy, does it mean we're crazy too?"

Sophie, a mother of two, is mentally ill with chronic depression. After the death of her second husband, she begins to lose it even more. Her son, Martin, is terrified by a woman his Mother keeps referring to as Diana who can only move about in the dark. After falling asleep too many times at school, his older sister Rebecca and her boyfriend Bret take him with them.

Concerned for Martin, Rebecca remembers what it was like when she was younger living with Sophie and Diana. But that night Diana comes to visit and Rebecca realizes that perhaps Diana is real after all. After some investigation Rebecca learns the truth about Diana and soon finds herself fighting for her and her families life in the dark.


Alright...what did I love about this movie?
  • Rebecca is beautiful...wow...I was totally distracted a few times.
  • Diana is quite terrifying and there are some great freaky moments that are definitely going to have me checking dark corners before I go to bed. My favorite one was when Rebecca wakes up to scratching noises and sees Diana huddled over the floor in her door frame. SPOOKY SHIT.
  • Bret deserves a goddamn boyfriend of the year award....
  • That ending...I got emotional ya'll
What didn't I love?
  • I mean....for the average horror viewer there's a lot of jump scares, but they were predictable and you could see them coming a mile away.


Overall?

Directed by David Sandberg in his directorial debut and starring Teresa Palmer, Gabriel Bateman, Maria Bello and Alexander DiPersia. This movie made big bucks at the box office and in fact made back it's whole production costs in the first day. Based on the success Sandberg was hired to direct Annabelle 2 and a sequel to Lights Out was immediately greenlit. Lights out is based on an original short that Sandberg put out in 2013. You probably remember it....it was fucking terrifying:


I really enjoyed it, it's kind of like...I mean...it's a basic horror movie ya know? It has all the tropes, it's a tone of fun, and it's creepy. It's not gonna freak me out and it's not gonna blow my mind, but I had a good time watching it and will probably watch it a few more times. I could see sequels being successful too.

I was impressed by the spirit of Diana and how they pulled it off in the film without it ever looking fake or ridiculous. Turns out they used a photorealistic prosthetic suit which also functioned as a green screen suit so they could remove her from the screen when the lights came on. Sandberg wanted to use as little CG as possible and you know I'm all for that.

It's fun...I'm here for it.

9/10 



Stay Spooky!

No comments:

Post a Comment