Charlotte

Charlotte

Monday, December 26, 2016

Don't Breathe - horror movie realness day one

DON'T BREATHE 2016


"Just 'cause he's blind, don't mean he's a fucking saint bro."

In Detroit, three friends make a small living by breaking into homes and robbing them. Alex's father has a security company so they use the codes and keys stolen from him. Rocky is trying to save up to get her and her sister out of her abysmal situation and move them to California and Money will do anything to help her.

After receiving a tip about an old Army veteran who lives in an abandoned neighborhood with $300K in his house, the three decide to rob him. After staking out the house they realize the man is blind but decide to rob him anyway.

But this Army vet is much more than they think he is and when the robbery goes wrong, they find themselves locked inside of his house fighting desperately for their lives.

But can they still find the money? And what's behind that locked basement door?


Alright...what did I love about this movie?
  • AMAZING opening scene. Love a scene like that where it flashes forward and then you just know you're in for a fucking insane ride.
  • There's some great scenes that are chilling - when Money finds the Army vet in his bedroom and you get your first good look at him, it was terrifying. The scene in the basement when the lights are out was super intense and gave me some Silence of the Lambs realness. And when Rocky is locked in the car with the dog outside...CUJO YA'LL!
  • I like that the blind man is animal like in his movements and the way he turns his head. It gives him a inhuman aspect that makes him more horrifying.

What didn't I love?
  • The foreshadowing shots were kind of irritating - there were these dramatic zoom in shots on their shoes or on the hammer and you're like...yeah...I get it...important plot point. It felt like I was being babied and I didn't like it.
  • I mean...the turkey baster situation....way to scar me for fucking life. "You're young, you'll breed well." ARE YOU JOKING?! That's fucked upppppppp. But I also kind of loved it?
Overall?

This is one freakin' hell of a ride! Directed by Fede Alvarez, who also directed the Evil Dead remake, and produced by Sam Raimi it stars the amazingly talented Jane Levy (seriously, get this girl more lead roles), Stephen Lang and Dylan Minnette. A perfect cast and a near perfect film.

It's shot so perfectly, I found myself holding my breath and staying incredibly still and then realizing I'm not actually in the movie and forcing myself to relax. It was so intense and well done that I honestly kept forgetting it wasn't really happening.


Rocky is one of my new favorite final girls, she is fucking relentless. And although I found the whole ladybug thing kind of cheesy, I was yelling for this girl to FIGHT. The blind man was incredibly interesting, and although what he's doing is so fucked up, I sort of felt for him ya know? It was interesting to see all the empty spots on the walls where crosses used to hang and hear his comment about how once you accept there is no God, you can do anything. It was a fascinating character study.

And that ending...still undecided. While watching it I was yelling at the screen like WHAAAAAATTTTT but now that I'm thinking about it I'm like...hmmm...maybe not? I mean, I kind of love that he's like our favorite slashers where no matter how many times you stab or shoot them they still manage to survive. But I also read what the original ending was going to be and that would've been pretty fucked up too.

9/10
I'm docking a mark for the turkey baster because I am mentally and emotionally scarred.


And now time to make a bed out of my couch, eat a bunch of candy, and move onto movie three!

Stay spooky!

No comments:

Post a Comment