Charlotte

Charlotte

Tuesday, December 27, 2016

I am Not a Serial Killer - horror movie realness day two

I AM NOT A SERIAL KILLER 2016


"The thing about boxes is that you can open them up. Even though they're completely boring on the outside, there might be something interesting inside. So while you're saying all of these stupid, boring things I'm imagining what it would be like to cut you open and see what you've got in there.”

John Wayne Cleaver is a 15 year old sociopath who lives by very strict rules that he believes keeps him from becoming a serial killer. He obsesses over serial killers, reading all about them and studying them which causes his school to worry and forces him to get a therapist. He doesn't have any friends except for one kid who he uses to keep him in check and keep him "normal". His mother and aunt work in a morgue and funeral home and they allow John to work down there with them.

The small town they live in begins to experience a spree of murders and when the bodies appear at the morgue, John notices a pattern of missing limbs and organs. He sets out to find the killer while keeping himself in check. 

But what's that black tar like substance found at all the crime scenes? And why has his neighbor started to act strangely?


Alright...what did I love about this movie?
  • Max Records is PERFECT casting and did an absolutely amazing job in this movie. He's the lead and without his success the movie would completely fall apart.
  • Christopher Lloyd dominated the screen and played creepy so well. The scene where he arrives at the funeral home and lurks behind John is so intense, "you attacked my wife..."
  • The monster reveal at the end was very well done. Much like I pictured it when I read it.
What didn't I love?
  • Not much - obviously it's not a thrill ride, edge of your seat kind of deal. It's more of a slow burn.


Overall

I read this book a few months ago and fell in love with it. Although I am not a sociopath by any means, I have more feelings than a normal human should in fact, I related a lot to John. Like him I grew up with a fascination for true crime and was looked upon strangely by friends and family for knowing body counts and serial killers life stories.

The movie does a wonderful job of translating text to screen and really hit the nail on the head when it comes to Crowley. Yes, this is a horror movie, but it's also an emotional story about one creature who has led a long life only to fall in love and realize what is most important. His struggle to live to be with Kay is beautiful. Of course, his way of getting through life is wrong which makes it so tragic. Crowley loved Kay more than anything, "he loved me more than anything in heaven or hell" and it is heartbreaking in his final moments when all he cares about is keeping Kay safe.


The relationship between John and his Mom is also incredibly emotional. She has a son who cannot understand the meaning of love but she loves him unconditionally. She wants what is best for him but also has no idea what is best for him.

It's such an interesting tale of emotion and growth. John is fascinating and I could write a million more words about him but I'll cut it short here.

I understand this movie won't be for everyone. The twist at the end of course takes it in a strange direction, and I think without reading the book first, it might not work so well on screen. But I enjoyed it greatly.

8/10

Okay, it's 6pm and I have two more movies to watch for the day. BUT...I drank a red bull, the couch has been made into a giant blanket fort situation and I have candy. I think I'll accomplish this! Let's do this!

Stay spooky!


No comments:

Post a Comment