Charlotte

Charlotte

Friday, February 24, 2017

Frightful Friday - Stephen King, The Purge and Alien!


WELCOME TO FRIGHTFUL FRIDAY!
You guys...I have had a week. I am so glad it's Friday night. I have a horror movie playing which hopefully I stay awake through and then I plan on doing nothing all weekend but make my way through my Netflix horror movie to-watch list. I also want to go see Get Out. But even though the movie theater is a ten minute walk from my house, I find it incredibly hard to find the energy to get there. But I've been craving movie theater popcorn for like a month now so I think that will help.

Let's jump right in - a lot has happened!

First off, and most important - we got a surprise announcement that changed my life forever....10 episodes are on their way for a TV show called Castle Rock based around the fictional Stephen King town.
OH and if that wasn't cool enough....it's from Hulu and Bad Robot. AKA JJ ABRAMS AND STEPHEN KING ARE REUNITING!!!!!!!


It's being called a psychological-horror series set in the Stephen King universe. It will "weave an epic saga of darkness and light, played out on a few square miles of Maine woodland." It will be an original story, claiming the "first-of-its-kind re-imagining".

Castle Rock appeared in 1979 in The Dead Zone and keeps popping up, including 2014's Revival. The name itself is taken from a fictional mountain fort in Lord of the Flies. What else is set there? Oh you know, just Cujo, Needful Things, Gerald's Game, and The Stand just to name a few....SO MANY CHARACTERS AND STORIES. Fun side story - when my parents and I were driving to Florida one summer when I was about 15, I didn't realize Castle Rock wasn't real and I asked my parents if we could drive there. After looking at a map for a long time (the internet was not such a go-to back then OKAY) I realized Castle Rock was fake.

Anyway, it's being executive produced by Sam Shaw and Dustin Thomason who will also be the writers. Sources are saying it will "intertwine characters and themes from the works of Stephen King" and "subsequent seasons will feature a new set of characters and will tie in to previous characters and themes."

Right now there's no casting or premier date but production will begin this year.

THIS IS SO FUCKING EXCITING!!!!!!!! I don't why this Stephen King upheaval is happening this year but I am so goddamn here for it.

Watch the teaser trailer they released here:



There also lots of Alien Covenant news coming out as the movie creeps closer and closer. We got our first full cast photo:


And FOX released a sort of introductory prologue clip that introduces us to each character and lets us know that all of these people are on this ship because they are headed to colonize another planet. The crew is made up of romantic couples and of course their AI Walter.



This clip got me SO AMPED for this movie. I cannot wait to see this in theaters. Although I will admit I completely forgot James Franco was in this movie and it caught me off guard. I really can't stand him. Hopefully he dies quick?

We also got one more still of the film showing the crew arriving at a planet after receiving a distress signal.


Alien Covenant is released May 19th.


Remember last year when I got SUPER bummed that they wanted to turn The Purge franchise into a TV series? Well it looks like that idea's been put on the shelf because Blumhouse Productions has announced that they will be teaming up with Universal Pictures for another Purge film. A fourth in the franchise that will be released on July 4th, 2018. Obviously we don't have any casting news or a title but we do know writer and director of the first three Purge films James DeMonaco will be returning which is an amazing thing to happen. And I have full trust that this will be another amazing addition to the franchise. Purge is quickly becoming my favorite franchise. Except Scream. And Final Destination. But you know what I mean.

Obviously lots of others great things are happening in the horror world, and some not so great things (the Friday the 13th remake is once again cancelled) but these are my three favs and what I'm truly most excited for.

See you tomorrow for SPOOKY SATURDAY!


1 comment:

  1. The First Purge hardly has a single redeeming quality, aside from maybe a visual choice of giving glowing contact lenses to the people who choose to purge. That element was cool visually, but that had no effect on the overall movie. When your film fails to have your audience care about who lives and who dies, there's something seriously wrong. I truly felt that one of the most unlikeable characters was one that you're meant to be rooting for, which gave me a very uncomfortable viewing experience. In the end, this movie fails on more levels than its predecessors, so even if you're a slight fan of the franchise, I still don't know if this one warrants a recommendation. The First Purge is garbage entertainment. > The First Purge 2018
    Now, this franchise has gone n for far too long and we have arrived at a prequel in The First Purge. The idea of going back to the very first purge has potential, but this film lives up to nothing of the sort. Anything good to speak of this franchise has now been killed in my eyes. This is easily the worst film in the franchise and one of the worst films I've seen in 2018, period.
    See More:
    > the revenant putlocker
    > arrival putlockers
    > 2k movies

    ReplyDelete