Charlotte

Charlotte

Saturday, February 18, 2017

Spooky Saturday - Get The Girl 2017


First of all, welcome to the first Spooky Saturday here at Horrorbound! Saturday's will be for horror movie reviews. If I watch multiple horror movies in the week, I'll also post a review on Wednesday as well. Look at me....two posts in a row...nailing it!

Second of all, I googled "Get the Girl" to look up info about the movie and I guess I wasn't accurate enough because I just saw a whole bunch of very disheartening articles like "how to get girl to like u (w/ pictures)". But...it also feels kind of accurate for what this movie is sort of about.

So let's jump in:

GET THE GIRL 2017


"I knew, if just given the chance, I'd be the right guy to sweep her off her feet"

Clarence believes in love at first sight because it happened to him with a bartender named Alex. But he's unsure of how to approach her and the first time he does, makes a fool of himself. Alex is currently going through a messy divorce and Clarence watches on as her life slowly falls apart. Clarence decides to approach a known shady guy named Patrick to help him get Alex to notice him. Patrick agrees, once shown a handful of cash because Clarence is of the Duffield legacy, and comes up with a plan where Patrick and some friends will kidnap Alex and Clarence and hold them captive. Clarence will be able to save the day and prove to Alex he's the one for her.

But the team is a hot mess of personalities and Alex isn't going down without a fight. Once someone is killed, everything begins to completely fall apart. And why is the house seemingly empty if Clarence lives here? And what's the real connection between Alex and Patrick?


Overall?

Look, Clarence, played by Justin Dobies, is a creep. Hands down. He's gone to the bar Alex works at every single night even though he doesn't drink just to watch her life. He's approached her twice in all that time. And he assumes that because he's watched her, he knows her. This is wrong and creepy. And yes, in the concept of this movie it turns out he was right - as Alex said, "so you almost killed me to show me I'm alive." But COME ON. Movies like this are what makes articles like the one I found above a reality. You don't "get" girls, that's not a thing. You meet someone and you either fall in love or you don't. There's no magic handbook, there's no step by step guide. You either make a connection with someone or you don't. If at the end of this movie Alex had shot Clarence and said, "fuck off you're a total creep", I would've cheered and enjoyed this statement piece of a movie. But clearly that didn't happen.

BUT...all that aside, let's look at this movie for what it is - a story.


Alex, played by Elizabeth Whitson, is amazing. She never once stops putting up a fight, she's independent, she's smart and she's a goddamn fighter. Which is why the ending of this film is so irritating. Patrick, played by Noah Segan, is charismatically evil and I actually enjoyed his screen time. The group of kidnappers are fun to watch, they're all kind of idiots and clearly have no idea what they're doing. And K.J. steals the scenes he's in, played by Adi Shankar.

There's a couple of twists in this movie that I liked. SPOILERS...............Patrick is Alex's ex-husband and this whole ordeal was coordinated by Clarence to take revenge on Patrick and get him to sign the divorce papers so Alex can be free. I didn't see it coming, I liked it, and it seemed plausible within this implausible movie.

The ending though.....what a cop out. First of all I hated how Alex was all of a sudden like "yes everything you're doing is not crazy and I'm totally falling for you" and I hate that they just cut it off to like...leave it up to the imagination....I guess? DUMB. Dumb ending.


I'm going to give this a 6/10. I was slightly entertained but it came off more as an attempt at a comedy heist than a horror film.

Stay Spooky!

No comments:

Post a Comment