Charlotte

Charlotte

Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Wicked Wednesday - Horror Movies from 1989


WELCOME....to the first wicked Wednesday.....*insert spooky ghost noise here*....
What do future Wednesdays entail I hear no one asking? Well...honestly...I've got no solid plans. This is just a freebie day. I can throw in a review, I can talk about my feelings, I could just post photos of my dogs....WHO CARES! 

Side note - I was just looking for a movie to throw on while I write this and my Netflix to-watch list is getting out of control when it comes to horror movies. I complain that Canadian Netflix has a terrible horror section but looking through my list there's A LOT on there that I haven't seen. So I think this weekend I'm going to do nothing but watch horror movies...it's supposed to snow anyway so what else am I doing? I also kind of want to go see A Cure for Wellness. At first I had no interest but I talked myself into it today while having a very one-sided conversation with my friend. I basically just started out saying I didn't want to see that artsy, way too long piece of garbage, and then we watched the trailer and I was like dannnnnngggg and then I started reading reviews and convinced myself to go. SO. We'll see what happens.

By the way I went with Jurassic Park 2 to watch while writing this...

OKAY...so what we're really doing here today is that I saw a fun thing on Dreadit about looking at the horror movies that came out during the year of your birth. So we're gonna do that here!

I was born in 1989, the year the internet started to become a real thing, George W. Bush became president, Ted Bundy was executed, Daniel Radcliffe was born, the first cell phone ad appeared on TV, and the Berlin Wall was destroyed. And according to the horror movies released it was the year of never-ending sequels.

Here's my top horror movies released the year I was born:


Pet Sematary

Now this is a good one! One of the few great King adaptations and directed by a woman! Mary Lambert. It was adapted by Stephen King and based on the book released in 1983. It stars Dale Midkiff as Louis, Denise Crosby as Rachel, Fred Gwynne as Jud and Miko Hughes as Gage. Stephen King also pops up himself playing a Minister.


It tells the story of a young family that moves to a new home next to a dangerous highway. After their cat is killed, Louis is informed of a Pet Cemetery that is hidden behind their home and it's believed that whatever is buried there returns. But they don't come back the same. So Louis buries his cat and low and behold the cat comes back, but now it's evil. When their young son Gage dies tragically Louis battles with the temptation to bury his own son in that magical cemetery and risk what comes back.


It also includes the fucking terrifying scenes of Zelda, Rachel's sister. Seriously. Fucking terrifying. Fuck Zelda.


The 'Burbs

Although The 'Burbs never marketed themselves as a horror comedy, we horror fans know it for exactly that. It's hilarious, it's pretty spooky, and it stars my favorite actor of all time - Tom Hanks, in the lead role as Ray. Carrie Fisher plays his wife Carol, Corey Feldman plays a neighborhood kid and Rick Ducommun plays Ray's goofy best friend. Directed by Joe Dante, it was written by Dana Olsen.

It follows Ray as he takes a much needed vacation but when new neighbors move in the whole street is obsessed with the creepy new residents. Are they satanists? Are they ghosts? And why does no one ever see them outside?!

It's a great little horror comedy, with an amazing cast and a cult classic.


Jason Takes Manhattan

Ah yes, that time Jason took a trip to NYC and murdered a bunch of people. People used to HATE this movie, but it seems like lately we're all coming around to it. Written and directed by Rob Hedden it stars Jensen Daggett and Kane Hodder who plays Jason.

This is the eighth film in the franchise and Jason stalks a bunch of high school kids on a ship that takes them to NYC. There is some great kills and some great one-liners. It's worth a re-visit.

Other honorable mentions for that year were Pumpkinhead, Puppet Master, and Leviathan. 



But let's look at the ALL the sequels that came out that year:
  • The Fly 2
  • Halloween 5
  • Jason Takes Manhattan
  • Nightmare on Elm St 5
  • Howling 5
  • Amityville 4
  • Sleepaway Camp 3
  • Silent Night Deadly Night 2
  • Beyond the Door 3
  • Stepfather 2
I mean...HOT DAMN. I didn't even know there was 4 Amityvilles or 3 Sleepaway Camps. I've got some watching to do!


As in any year of horror, there also seemed to be a lot of hot garbage. And based on no research whatsoever just titles and posters....I really want to watch these ridiculous movies:
  • Stuff Stephanie in the Incinerator
  • Flesh Eating Mothers
  • Killer Crocodile
  • I, Madman
  • Parents

Well anyway, I've got EVEN MORE to add to my list now. It's really getting out of control. Maybe I should book a vacation and just sit at home and watch horror movies all day? I have enough days...hmmmm....I might look into that tomorrow.

Let me know what awesome movies came out the year you were born!

Stay Spooky!

No comments:

Post a Comment