Charlotte

Charlotte

Friday, January 1, 2016

Drag me to the bargain bin

GUYS
LOOK WHAT I FOUND TODAY
Mitch and I were on a hunt for shallot today (completely different story) and in our search I ended up finding gluten free cupcakes, a new cardigan....and....






DRAG ME TO HELL FOR $3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 
What a fucking steal ya'll. I am so blessed ~~

So now me and Mitch are watching it. Mitch, for the first time, obviously. My quest continues to subtly develop an interest in horror movies in Mitch. One day he'll think to himself, hmmm...I want to watch Freddy Vs. Jason.....and my quest will be completed. I'm basically just using those techniques that big companies do to get you to crave their product by subtly inserting it into movies. If he watches enough of them by accident, eventually he'll choose to do it on purpose. It's been 5 years and I feel I'm getting closer.

ANYWAY

Drag Me To Hell....
Let's talk about this masterpiece while I live blog watching it.

 
What is it exactly? In 2009 Drag Me to Hell was released into theaters where we could feast our eyes on this joy of a film. Co-written and directed by Sam Raimi, it focuses on Christine Brown (Alison Lohman) who refuses a loan to a gypsy woman at the bank where she works. The gypsy woman places a curse on her which basically ruins her life. It also stars Justin Long.
Aka it's very close to my life because my life also has a gypsy curse which I firmly believe. (another story for another day)

Drag Me to Hell did great at the box office, grossing over $90 million worldwide and ended up winning the award for Best Horror Film at the Scream Awards and the Saturn Awards.


The original story was written ten years before the release of Drag Me to Hell and was a morality tale where a character who wants to be a good person, but makes a choice out of greed and ends up paying for it. Some of the elements are drawn from Night of the Demon.



It's a dark and humorous, campy horror film that is also disgusting and actually quite jumpy the first time you watch it. The gypsy is scary and some of the scenes combine both humor and horror in the most perfect way. It also has a really great score!

Honestly, it's just the perfect Raimi scare/laugh hybrid.

So Mitch and I just finished watching it together and he enjoyed it! It's a fun movie to watch with someone else because you get to have the discussion side of it. Like, who would you give the button to, knowing they would die? He was pretty grossed out at some parts, but I mean....that's a Raimi film.
Every time I watch this film I fall more in love with it. It's just a great, solid piece of work. And one that comes with a moral tale.

Always a 10/10


GO WATCH IT YOU WEIRDOS

I've got to be up early tomorrow to catch my flight so I'm signing off for now. This was my first blog of the new year AND my first horror movie of the year.....HAPPY NEW YEAR! May 2016 be filled with jump scares, gore fests, and some original horror.

Stay spooky!



No comments:

Post a Comment