Charlotte

Charlotte

Monday, January 25, 2016

CANNIBAL UNICORN~~~~

Guys. My life has been changed forever. Last night I watched Deathgasm. WHAT A FUCKING AMAZING MOVIE!!!!!!!!!

Let's talk about this bloody, gory, psychotic, hilarious thrill ride:

DEATHGASM


First of all, thank you New Zealand for consistently putting out gorgeous and amazing horror films and horror comedies. What we do in the Shadows? Easily one of my favorite movies from last year. Housebound? I named my damn blog after it. And now I have Deathgasm to add to my favorites list.

Written and directed by Jason Lei Howden, Deathgasm tells the tale of Brodie (Milo Cawthorne) who has just moved in with his super Christian Aunt and Uncle and his bully of a cousin David. Brodie is a metal head and stands out like a sore thumb in this town. After be-friending two roleplaying misfits, he meets Zakk (James Blake), a fellow metal head in a record shop. The little group start a band called DEATHGASM and discover magical sheet music which may or may not summon real demons.


There's also the female character, Medina (Kimberly Crossman), who is Brodie's love interest. But she holds her own in this film and gets her own bad ass light. Most memorably when she listens to heavy metal for the first time and imagines herself on the top of a mountain rocking out surrounded by beautiful women.

The movie is a joy to watch. The first half of the movie is really just a set up, introducing us to the characters and basically setting up the emotion and anger that Brodie feels, that encourages him to release the demons. It's also absolutely laugh out loud funny with tones of moments and scenes you can quote forever. There's a moment where the boys are told the demon would rise at "Satan's Hour" which is 3 am, to which Zakk responds "eastern or standard time?". I cried with laughter. Or when the group is trying to name their band, and the suggestion Cannibal Unicorn comes up....I mean, I want to name everything that from now on. Oh, have you met my new dog? His name is Cannibal Unicorn.


Not only is it hilarious, it's ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING. In the best damn way possible. There's limbs being hacked off, heads being split in half, gallons of blood splattering just every damn way. And there's an entire scene where Brodie and Zakk fight demons with dildos and anal beads. Amazing. The practical effects were astounding, and made me nostalgic for the old classics. It's rare nowadays you watch a horror movie, knowing those effects are all real, and trying to figure out how in the hell they pulled that one off.

I didn't even want the movie to end, I just wanted to keep watching for hours. I can't wait to watch it again. Deathgasm feels like a movie made by a horror fan, for horror fans. No, it's not scary, it's not even creepy, it's just a straight up very well done horror comedy that I believe, could comfortably stand alongside What we do in the Shadows and Shaun of the Dead.

I'm so happy this movie is now in my life. Deathgasm, you are amazing.
10/10
Will aggressively recommend and watch over and over.

Stay spooky!







No comments:

Post a Comment