Charlotte

Charlotte

Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Something old, something new part 2

For this installment of 'Something Old, Something New' I went with Suburban Gothic (2015) and The Bad Seed (1956).

Let's talk about it!!

Suburban Gothic (2015)

This film was wonderful. Directed by Richard Bates Jr. and starring a great cast including Matthew Gray Gubler and Kat Dennings. There's also a great array of guest stars including my idols Jen and Sylvia Soska, and the legendary John Waters.
The main character Raymond is forced to move back home after being unable to find a job with his new degree. His parents are hilariously awful. The father is aggressive, racist, and clueless. The mother lives in her own dream world where she's in love with the gardener.
We watch as Raymond rediscovers old characters from his school including Becca who he takes a shining with and some bullies that continue to try and bully him.


Raymond is unique - strange sense of style, quick dry wit, and a history of being able to see the paranormal until he was diagnosed with a blood pressure disorder and is forced to take pills. But now that he's back in town, the eccentric doctor won't prescribe him any refills.
While the gardener is working on the garden he discovers a wooden box with a body inside. This intrigues Raymond who is now starting to see spooky stuff happening around the house after being unable to see ghosts for years. He realizes he needs to find the now missing dead body and with the help of Becca fumbles through the whole process.


The movie is weird. It's as eccentric as its' characters. But I loved it! It was a quick watch and a fun ride with lots of laughs and enough weirdness to make me feel at home. My only complaint were the scares were completely lacking, it was more of a Beetlejuice than a Housebound. I would definitely recommend it but only to those with specific weirder tastes.

I can't wait to watch it again, mostly because this film is very close to my real life.

9/10



The Bad Seed (1956)

THIS MOVIE WAS FUCKING FANTASTIC. Seriously gobsmacked at the talent in this film. It centers around little psychopath Rhoda and her unknowing mother Christine.
I actually don't want to share too much about this movie because I went in cold turkey and was hooked from the first minute. I would recommend the same.
The acting by the little girl is astounding. I believe this actress was nominated for an Oscar for this role and well deserved because this girl was terrifying, played by Patty McCormack. The mother, played by Nancy Kelly, also does a fantastic job as her character slowly starts to unravel.
There is not a single moment of violence in this film, yet there is SO much. It's all just left to the imagination.
AND THAT ENDING
WHAT
THE
FUCK


Also there's a drunken mother character who cracks me the fuck up and if I could drink alcohol I would probably be a lot like her. Just wandering into people's houses uninvited, announcing"I'm drunk" and then trying to sleep on their couch.
It's also based on a book which I will now hunt down and read.

All in all it was an extremely well acted, enjoyable film. My only complaint is it ran quite long and did feel it in some parts.

9/10


So there we have it. Round two of 'Something Old, Something New'. I love doing this mini challenge because it's just so fascinating to watch how far we've come in the horror genre, but also how little progress we've made sometimes.

This weekend I plan on putting up my Halloween decorations!!!! The agreement was the 15th but I think the 12th is close enough. It's basically already the 15th at that point. I'm also working hard on my history of horror presentation for work (learning powerpoint whyyyyy???).

Today I also panicked because I realized October is really close and I haven't started on my October movie challenge yet. So now I'm digging through my itunes wishlist and the notes on my phone to compile 31 movies and making some sort of sense/theme to them.

Have a good rest of this short work week and stay spooky!!


No comments:

Post a Comment