Charlotte

Charlotte

Sunday, August 9, 2015

Zoinks! Nostalgia ahead...

I watched The Bay!


And it was awesome. It's been on my watch list for months and months but finally today after seeing it recommended for the 1000th time on Dreadit I decided to watch it while washing empty beer bottles for Mitch's home brew.
It's a found footage film but one of the ones that actually makes sense. The footage is compiled from security cameras, cell phones, news reports, skype etc. It's the story of a small town that gets hit with a virus that comes from the water. The virus causes boils and sores to swell up on your body, and in some cases, something decides to make a home out of your stomach. Lots of people die, they try to figure out where the virus came from, and the government hushes it all up.


I love a good pandemic movie that doesn't result in everyone turning into zombies. It's so much scarier when everyone just starts dropping dead. Which is why I may be the only person in the world who likes The Happening.

This movie was honestly a rollercoaster to watch. I kept finding myself just standing there staring at the screen instead of washing the bottles because it would just suck me in. The virus comes from a parasite in the water, which I have a giant fear of (parasites, not water) so this movie hit me where it hurts. When they show the parasites I honestly just flipped out. I'm still convinced every time my hair touches me it's a parasite crawling up my arm. 


It was just a really fun watch. No surprises, no twists, nothing crazy, nothing blew my hair back. But I thoroughly enjoyed it and would recommend it. And as far as it being found footage goes, I'll put it up there with the goodies like Lake Mungo and Creep.

The Bay was released in 2012, written by Michael Wallach and directed by Barry Levinson and you can watch the trailer here

 
I've also been watching a lot of the old horror shows I watched when I was young, lately. Specifically Scooby Doo, The Addams Family, and The Twilight Zone. And I love that all of these shows hold up. I mean, Scooby Doo is always reinventing itself. Right now I'm watching Mystery Incorporated which is the latest TV version of the show. But they also just released a KISS and Scooby Doo mash-up because of course they did and of course I'm going to watch it.

As far back as I can remember I watched Scooby Doo and I'm sure when I was very little, it probably scared me, but now it's just fond memories of a lifetime with the gang.

 
Addams Family I discovered when my family and I would visit America on vacation and I would catch the old black and white reruns. I became obsessed with Wednesday Addams and idolized her until I got too old and began idolizing Morticia instead. Literally my whole style most of my life has been based on the Addams women.
When the movies came out I was thrilled and what perfect portrayals they were - Cristina Ricci and Anjelica Huston. Goddesses.

Imagine, if you will.....


The Twilight Zone I was aware of for most of my childhood but, living in Canada and England, was never able to catch the show itself. Finally in my teens I was able to watch the episodes and experience the wonderment that is The Twilight Zone. Some of those episodes still scare the shit out of me. The moral lessons alone scared me straight.

As much as I love horror TV now like American Horror Story, The Walking Dead, The X-Files etc, nothing compares to the oldies for me and the nostalgia I feel when I watch them as an adult.


I'm just super ready for Halloween and my horror movie challenge which I'm determined to complete this year. I tried to gauge the reaction to putting up my Halloween decorations in August to Mitch and the gauge was no. But I've heard rumors that the dollar store has already started putting out their Halloween stuff so I'm going to go take a peek tomorrow and begin another three months of buying skulls and skeletons and bats and stuffed birds.





Have a spooky week everyone! 

No comments:

Post a Comment