Charlotte

Charlotte

Friday, September 16, 2016

Serial Mom - 1994 and why have I put off this classic for so long?!

Hey guys! I'm back!
Sorry for the delay there. To be completely honest I got a little freaked out. Blog shy, if you will. I always assume no one reads this thing, which is totally fine, I made it for myself to be able to talk about the movies I love and keep track of what I've watched. Because if you're a horror fan, you are constantly getting people asking you for recommendations and I sort of lose track along the way of how many horror movies I've watched. And of course your opinion changes over time. You sort of get beer goggles about them. You watch one and you're like holy fuck that was awful, then 6 months later you're like, it wasn't that bad, then a year later you're like that movie was SO GREAT. Then you re-watch it and you're like....wtf was I thinking?

Anyway, point is - I get like 20 - 40 views a day depending on what I post. Which I always assume are accidental clicks or pity clicks from my friends. But my last post got over 800 views and I panicked. What happens if people actually read this thing?!?! Luckily the out pour of love I received was really comforting but I really had to take a few days to be like whaaaaaaattttttttt.

BUT I'M BACK!

And I watched Serial Mom...let's talk about it!

SERIAL MOM (1994)


The only "serial" I know anything about is Rice Krispies. 

Well this movie was a fucking delight! Written and directed by the incredible John Waters it stars Kathleen Turner as Serial Mom herself, Sam Waterston as her doting husband, a very young Ricki Lake as the daughter and an also very young Matthew Lillard in his first movie role. There's also a tone of great guest stars like Patty Hearst, Joan Rives and Suzanne Somers. 

It follows the story of Beverly, the perfect mom and housewife who holds a deep secret - she's a serial killer. You see, Beverly likes things a certain way and believes in following strict rules like no gum in the house, and not using the "brown word" aka shit. So when people break these rules, or upset her children....well...she delivers justice.

This film is absolutely hilarious as it all unfolds, introducing amazing character after amazing character like the nosy neighbor, the divorcee who Beverly harasses for fun by sending threatening messages, and my favorites - the two rowdy garbage guys.






It's a great story that sort of thumbs its' nose at the hysteria around people who are fascinated with true crime and horror. And of course the hysteria itself that happens when there's a big "shocking" murder. The scenes are colorful and completely over done that gives it this very sanitized fantasy type feel to it. The only thing I wish was that when the killings happened they were far more gory. I feel like that would've been such a hilarious contrast against the stark set pieces.

I love Lillard's character, a horror movie obsessed teen, who when faced with the fact his mom is a serial killer decides to sell her life rights to make a tv show. In fact the whole family's reaction is hilarious and insane. In the end when Beverly walks free, there's a moment where the family look at each other like....well fuck, we know she killed these people, but we have to support her soooooo let's just not piss her off for awhile?


Lillard did a fantastic job for his first movie. And Kathleen Turner just completely knocks it out of the park. She never gets too crazy, she dances along that line of psycho to the point where you don't want her to go to jail and you're rooting for her. You start to justify all her killings. Beverly is an awesome character.

Serial Mom is a joy to watch and I can't believe I waited this long to watch it!!!!

Till next time...
Stay spooky!


No comments:

Post a Comment