Charlotte

Charlotte

Saturday, April 16, 2016

In which I watch The Boy (2015) and break my toe while doing it

Well....that was a longer delay than expected. The gypsy curse hit hard and fast. We had everything packed up and ready to go but two days before we moved in, our new building caught on fire. So we had to wait around in limbo for awhile wondering if we were going to be homeless. But finally last weekend we were able to move into our new apartment and then spent the week unpacking.

But enough excuses...I'M BACK...but now also with a broken toe.

I chose to watch The Boy (2015) last night....not the one with Maggie from The Walking Dead, but the other one and half way through I dropped my laptop on my toe. Like...perfectly hit just one toe. I started spurting blood and almost fainting (I'm one of those people who can watch you get your arm cut off without flinching but the second I bleed I'm on the floor blacked out). So now it's all bloody and bruised and swollen and broken.

The laptop is fine though.



Okay I'm shutting up....let's talk about this phenomenal movie!!!!!!!!!!

THE BOY (2015)


Directed and written by Craig Macneill, The Boy tells the story of a father and son who run a lonely motel in the middle of nowhere. It's based on a short film by the same guy which is loosely inspired by the book Miss Corpus, written by Clay McLeod Chapman (who helped write the script as well). 

The father is played amazingly by David Morse, who is a terrible father but manages to make you feel for him anyway. The young boy, Ted, is played by Jared Breeze and can we get this kid a damn Oscar? What an impressive performance! Ted is fucked up from growing up all alone and angry. His mother left him when he was young and his only interaction is with the guests, who come and go, leaving him behind like his mother did. He has a lot of anger that he doesn't know how to deal with and begins to lure animals onto the highway to be killed by oncoming cars. But one night he attracts a deer and a man named William Colby (played by Rainn Wilson) hits said deer and crashes. He is forced to stay at the motel while his car is fixed. Ted instantly becomes attached and fascinated by William, but so does the town Sheriff played by Bill Sage. Seems to be that William is running away from something.


From the get go this movie is so incredibly tense. You're on the edge of your seat the entire time just completely unnerved. Every move that Ted makes you're convinced he's just going to snap and kill everyone. For a movie with not a lot of dialogue, you never get bored once. The scenery is absolutely stunning but so lonely and the score is incredibly creepy and adds to the intensity and dread of the story.

While the ending is slightly predictable if you're paying attention, it doesn't feel like a cop out. I found myself cheering for Ted even though I knew it was wrong. It's a very "anti-hero" type film where you know that Ted is awful but you can't help but completely understand the way he is. He is a victim of his surroundings and the way he was raised.

It asks the interesting question of how serial killers are made. Are they born that way, or are they created by the way they are raised and their environments?


I adored this film and the performances all around were phenomenal, especially Rainn Wilson and Jared Breeze.

10/10

Please watch this film!! I beg of you! This is indie horror done the right way and we should be supporting it and encouraging others to bring us these beautiful and terrifying films.

Alright, up next is most likely The Forest and The Gift, but don't hold me accountable for that. I'm the worst.

Stay spooky ya'll and thank you for being so patient!!

No comments:

Post a Comment