Charlotte

Charlotte

Monday, April 25, 2016

Black Christmas and I watch the wrong movie again

So once again I downloaded the wrong movie haha but to make up for all this downloading I used the last of gift certificate and ordered like 20 horror movies on amazon. Including the original Hills Have Eyes!
Anyway, next on the random lists on my phone of horror movies to watch was Black Christmas, the original from 1974. Ended up with the remake. BUT it was a tone of fun.

Let's talk about it!

BLACK CHRISTMAS (2006)

And fucking Santa Claus? This fat voyeur that watches you all year long to make sure you live up to his standards of decency before breaking into your house.
 
Black Christmas, aka Black X-Mas to relate to the early 2000 audience (we were pretty hip back then), was written and directed by Glen Morgan (who also helped bring us the Final Destination franchise). The film has a great, basically all, female cast including some of the 2000 greats like Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Michelle Trachtenberg, and Katie Cassidy. Andrea Martin plays the house mother in this film and she was also in the original which is a nice little nod.


Black X-Mas is a pretty loose remake apparently, and in this story it follows Billy, a psychopath who after years of abuse murdered his whole family (except his sister - he only took her eye) and ate parts of them. 15 years later he escapes from the asylum on Christmas Eve and returns to his family home, which is now a sorority house. The house knows about the past and every year they leave a gift for Billy under the tree - but they never expect him to actually show up.

Billy is loosely based on Edmond Kemper, the serial killer who had a fucked up relationship with his mom and attacked a sorority house killing some of the girls.


The film is a typical 2000 slasher. There's a bunch of sub story lines that make no sense, and go nowhere. There's a lot of unanswered questions....like how did Billy's sister know to meet him at the house? And how did she even get there? And why are there so many holes in floors and walls? And how did no one hear Billy setting up a damn christmas tree in the attic?
It's a tone of fun to watch with terrible dialogue and a tone of plot holes but you still have an amazing time. I will definitely be watching this every year on Christmas Eve because how could I not?


My only major complaint with it is the ending dragged on for waaaay too long. They could've cut down at least 20 minutes and I would've been happy. It didn't ruin it or anything but I found myself checking my phone a lot near the end. Although now that I'm thinking about it I think I watched the extended cut which makes a lot of sense.



9/10



gif credit

Anyway, it was a fun way to end my weekend before my week of hell. I'll see you on the other side!


Stay spooky!


No comments:

Post a Comment