Charlotte

Charlotte

Sunday, April 24, 2016

The Uninvited and too many ramblings

Sooooo my original plan was to watch The Hills Have Eyes from 1977. I downloaded it and got about 10 minutes in before I realized that not only was it not The Hills Have Eyes from 1977, it was the sequel to the remake. I was watching The Hills Have Eyes 2 Where'd Ya Get Those Peepers?

(Also I know I preach a hard game of supporting horror movies and spending the money but in my defense I am FLAT broke from the move sooooo....don't download movies kids, it's illegal, and you might end up watching awful sequels to remakes.)

I actually did sit through the whole thing and Mitch joined me for the last half. It was awful. But I felt like I'd already dedicated time to it so I might as well finish it. It was awful. GARBAGE. So many plot holes, so many bad character decisions, so many stereotypes.

Ohhhh boy it was bad.

I've had a productive weekend so far - aka watched a lot of horror movies, played Until Dawn again (see my review here) and pre-ordered Batman V Superman on DVD with my amazon gift card (thanks Aunt Sam!). And if you want to send hate my way for loving the shit out of BVS please direct your hate mail to my best friend Ben Affleck's bank account. 


Oh, also....ya'll should be watching Deadly Possessions, Zak Bagans new show. It's so awesome! He has opened a museum in Vegas that houses his collection of haunted items and has people bring him their own haunted items. This week's they had Bela Lugosi's mirror and some letters from Charles Manson.

Today I decided to watch a movie that I had seen when I was much younger and remembered loving it. I also remembered it having some sort of twist ending but not really what it was.

So...let's talk about it:

THE UNINVITED (2009)


We survive by remembering. But sometimes we survive by forgetting. 

So as soon as I started the film I remembered the twist right away but it didn't really ruin the film for me. It was more fun to watch it and see how they trick you into believing what is true. The Uninvited is a remake of the South Korean film, A Tale of Two Sisters and was remade in America by the Guard Brothers. The movie was filmed here in Vancouver, and specifically in one house which I will one day own because it is stunningly beautiful and everything I want in a home. Aka isolated and next to a lake with a creepy boat house. Stephen King novel realness.

It tells the story of Anna who has returned home from the psych ward. She was in there after the tragic fire that took the life of her already deathly ill mother. When she returns home she finds her father has started dating the much younger nurse who took care of her mother and her sister is drinking a lot and miserable. As Anna readjusts to life, she starts to suspect that perhaps the nurse is not what she seems and she starts seeing the ghosts of three little children who may lead her to the truth of her mother's death.


Elizabeth Banks does a wonderful job of playing the nurse, Rachel. Every word out of her mouth can be interpreted in so many different ways and you spend the whole movie wondering if she really is evil. She plays scary very well. Emily Browning, in the lead role of Anna, does a great job of pulling you along as she lives day to day in this emotional and confusing new world she's found herself in. Browning is a phenomenal actress who I believe deserves more credit than she's given. She's also breathtakingly beautiful.

I'm sure a much smarter person than I could figure out the twist in this film very quickly. But the first time I saw it I honestly had NO idea and it came as a complete and amazing shock. The scares in the film rely solely on the big "jump". It's not a scary film for the average horror viewer. Although the scene where Anna is sleeping in her bedroom and wakes up to hear a bell ringing and sees a figure sliding along her floor....that shit creeped me out.

Overall I do enjoy this movie, it's isolating and a full bodied story without too many gaping plot holes.

8/10


Stay Spooky!


No comments:

Post a Comment