Charlotte

Charlotte

Sunday, July 26, 2015

something old, something new

I have felt like a giant bag of garbage all week so far and it's only Wednesday. But you know what cures that? Wrapping yourself up in a blanket burrito and watching horror movies. Cause yeah, you may feel like shit, maybe you're hella tired from feeling so sick, but at least you're not being chased by a chainsaw or developed some psycho STD that tracks you down to kill you.

Life's rough. But it could always be worse. So first up on my night of horror to make myself feel better is:

It Follows



Welp. Did not live up to the hype. Sorry guys. I did enjoy it and I will watch it again in time but I just found it more "indie" than "horror". I loved the concept but it felt a little silly in some of the confrontation scenes when only Jay can see "it" and the others are just watching things fly around wildly. And the ending felt a little too open ended and not in the good way. I liked the different forms that "it" took and found it quite creepy in some scenes. But I didn't love this movie. Like fall in love and aggressively recommend. It just felt like, oh okay, I see what you're doing and I get it but you haven't sold me. I did enjoy the dream like quality of the whole thing though.

What I did really enjoy was all the little Halloween references. The opening shot alone I had a moment where I was like did I put on Halloween instead? And the scene when Jay is in class and looks out the window to see "it" walking towards her. Loved that. I love when horror movies give little nods to the classics.

I would say the first half hour was right up my alley and then I lost heart. I do love when horror movies have rules like this one - sleep with someone else to pass it on, don't die or it comes after me, always find somewhere that has two exits etc but it just wasn't enough for me.

Watch the trailer here

Overall I'm going with 6/10 but am willing to do another rewatch in awhile with an open mind. If anything, all this movie made me wanna do was watch Halloween. So just go watch Halloween, you'll be better off.



gif credit


The Texas Chainsaw Massacre



A classic. Show me one person who hasn't at least heard of this movie? This movie is such a stepping stone in our horror legacy and I could honestly talk about it for hours. And attempt to quite often. Such a rich piece of history with a back story of how it was made just as interesting as the movie itself. And since we now for sure have our prequel happening which I am holding no judgment until I start to find out more, it's only fitting to revisit where it all began - in 1973, in backwoods Texas, with one hell of a fucked up family, and a dinner scene that traumatized a generation.



While re-watching I completely forgot how annoying Franklin gets. Like, bud, you're a fifth wheel in a wheel chair, what did you think was going to happen? And I love how leatherface never skips a beat. Two random people show up in your house? On it. Where's my chainsaw?
I was also reminded why you should never pick up hitchhikers because they may just pull a knife out of their boot and cut you for no goddamn reason. And lastly I noticed - if I was single and left to my own devices I think my house would end up like the house in this movie - wind chimes made out of bones, chicken feathers, chainsaws etc and like, I'm not positive, but probably without the redneck crazy family.

If you haven't seen this film, you're in for a treat, and I beg you to drop everything and go watch it right now. Check out the original trailer here and get ready to spend the rest of your life panicking whenever you hear that sharp whine.

Always a solid 10/10



Also happy tenth anniversary The Devil's Rejects!!

(also I posted this on Thursday but wrote it on Wednesday so deal with it)
(AHAHAH totally forgot to post this. I'm the worst. Posting it on a Sunday cause that's how this is happening apparently) 

No comments:

Post a Comment