Charlotte

Charlotte

Thursday, August 3, 2017

Stephen King News - because I don't care about anything else


Well, well, well......

I have returned....

( credit for gif )

People who have been following this blog for the past few years know I basically disappear every summer and I apologize for that. This summer has been notoriously worse because I travelled quite a lot and I got promoted at work so I've been busy living out my career dreams ~~~

So let's check in with the summer so far shall we? We've had some insane trailers coming out, some interesting movies have premiered and lots of great old and new movies added to Netflix and Shudder. I also got cable and so have spent most of my time watching things like America's Got Talent and Dr. Phil and letting my brain get melted. I REGRET NOTHING!

I actually haven't watched a horror movie in months? I think the last one I watched was when I re-watched Get Out with Mitch. I'm missing out on a lot and I'm pretty bummed about it but then I get home and I'm like ahhh yes, "my daughter is my mother is my uncle who's a sex predator" ...SIGN ME UP. But I am recognizing my bad habits and trying to move on....."trying" being the important word here...

Let's talk about some horror news I've been excited about lately:


First up of course is IT, it's crawling closer and closer and we just got our third trailer which looks incredible. It premiered during San Diego Comic Con and honestly, I'm trying not to let my expectations get too high but holllllyyyyy shiiiitttt does this movie look scary or what?! Joe Hill recently saw the full film and said it was one of five scariest films he's ever seen. I MEAN HOT DAMN! I am absolutely going on opening night and I am ready to get my pants scared off of me.

The adaptation is brought to us by director Andy Muschietti and stars Bill Skarsgard as Pennywise.

In this new trailer I like that they showed the adults not seeing what's happening to the kids, they just turn a blind eye as all of this is happening and at first you think it's because they're dumb adults but soon realize the town is doing something strange to them. I'm so glad they're including this because it's such a great part of the book where you feel such fear and frustration. We hear Pennywise talk and it's perfect. We get even more balloons. We get an extended look at that terrifying scene of Georgie in the cellar. We see what I hope to be that horrifying refrigerator scene with the leech like creatures. Also that score is just so incredible and jarring. WE JUST SEE SO MUCH WITHOUT GIVING TOO MUCH AWAY AND I'M SO FUCKING EXCITED!!!!!!!!

Check out the final trailer here and let's start counting down the days until IT premiers in theatres on September 8th.







Speaking of Stephen King, Mr. Mercedes premiers next Wednesday (August 9th) on DIRECTV and I'm hoping iTunes the next day for those of us without fancy cable. The trailer has given me a lot of hope that for once a Stephen King TV show will work, and early reviews are positive so woohoo! The casting is spot on and the vibe is a match for the book. I'm really excited for this and here's the trailer which premiered recently:



Executive produced by Stephen King, David E. Kelley and Jack Bender, Mr. Mercedes follows the story of a serial killer taunting a retired police detective. This trailer has got me hyped and I'm totally going to re-read this book this weekend.


The Jigsaw trailer came out a little while ago and I am 100% onboard. I've never been a huge fan of the Saw franchise. I used to be really sensitive to torture scenes in horror movies but two years ago I actually watched Saw for the first time and it was incredible! I would like to actually watch the whole franchise before the premier of Jigsaw.....challenge...accepted? Maybe? Next week?

One of the highest grossing horror franchises is coming back with a bang and it looks like it has a lot of the stuff people love about Saw with some fun new twists. Directed by Michael Spierig and Peter Spierig, it premiers October 27th. I'm going to try and convince my coworkers to go on a work trip to see it for Halloween week.

Check out the trailer below




Lastly - Eli Roth and AMC have been incredibly busy lately bringing us the horror content we deserve. AMC will be creating three new horror anthology series - the first is a horror/sci-fi mix called Shock Theatre which the incredible Greg Nicotero will direct and produce. Every week a new episode will pay tribute to those B movie classics we all love.

Teaming up with A Fish Ladder, Chris Hardwick's production company, AMC will also be premiering a show called Underbelly which will take a hard look at the dark side of pop culture like fan obsessions, greed, vanity etc. This one is intriguing as I have no idea what kind of format this will be and if it's just going to be hella depressing.

Then there's Wicked West coming from Jason Blum, obviously from Blumhouse, which was will be a non-fiction series about some of the most horrific and true tales of the wild, wild west. This is super awesome as I am a huge fan of the gritty old west and all those depressing but insane stories.

Lastly, what I'm most excited for is Eli Roth's new show. We all know Eli Roth is a massive horror nerd and this show will be a 6 part series about the history of horror. "Sadly, we lose more of these masters every year and with them go their stories and experiences. This show will serve as a record for future generations..." Eli commented. This is such a solid idea - obviously we've lost some horror greats in the past few years, most notably to me Wes Craven and most recently George A. Romero so this show sounds like a really thoughtful idea.

Also huge shout out to AMC for bringing us horror nerds from real quality programming lately!

And that's it for my news wrap-up. Hopefully I'll be back on this thing more now that summer is coming to a close. And hopefully I watch some more horror movies because my life is lacking miserably.

Stay spooky!

No comments:

Post a Comment