Charlotte

Charlotte

Sunday, August 6, 2017

Saw Franchise Watch - Saw 3 and 4


Last night I watched Saw 3 and today I watched Saw 4 and I am left with a lot of questions and concerns, but I was also taken on a journey. 

Let's talk about it!


SAW 3 2006
"Death is a surprise party"

Darren Lynn Bousman takes up the director reigns again and worked from a screenplay by our favs Leigh Whannell and James Wan. This is the highest-grossing film in the series.

Kerry returns in this sequel along with Rigg (Lyriq Bent) who finds the aftermath of a Jigsaw game while looking for Matthews. Kerry is quickly captured soon after and put into her own trap. But we quickly realize these new traps are not meant to be survived which is very unlike Jigsaw.

A Doctor is kidnapped (Bahar Soomekh) by Amanda who is Jigsaw's apprentice and held captive as she tries to save Jigsaw's life. While this is all happening - a man is going through a series of Jigsaw tests seeking revenge for his child who was killed.


Overall

Ohhhhh boy....I LOVED this one. This might actually be my favorite so far of the series. There were so many twists and turns and I was kept guessing until the very end. There were even more intense scenes where I was clutching my face and freaking out - when Lynn is performing brain surgery on Jigsaw, when the husband is going through the test with the judge drowning in pig guts, and that final scene. Amanda was phenomenal in this - and I loved the reveal of how much and for how long she's been involved. Lynn and her husband's story I did not see coming at all.

The traps/games to me took a back seat in this movie and let the characters really take the lead which I enjoyed so much. Learning all about Jigsaw and his relationship with Amanda was really well thought out and acted.


Games/Traps

#9 - Jeff's Final Test
This one aggravated me because Jeff is an idiot. At this point he should've learned his damn lesson and also listened to his wife and Jigsaw and saved everyone BUT NOOOOOO, he let his anger and bad attitude get the best of him
 

#8 - The Freezer Room
Honestly, this one is really intense but could be stopped pretty quickly if homeboy had just sucked it up and reached for the key. Also when he put his face against the freezing cold pipe and ripped his skin off?? Bud?? You're wearing like three layers, take one off and cover your face before going in for the key....

#7 - The Rack
This is pretty fucked up and complex, but ultimately it depends on the other person getting the key and unlocking you. 

#6 - The Angel Trap 
This one is unwinnable and pretty intense. You've got a contraption locked into your rib cage and you're hanging from the ceiling. The key is in a jar of acid and there's a timer. I kind of love these one's where it's like "here's the trap...BUT ALSO THERE'S BROKEN GLASS AND IT'S RAINING"


#5 - The Shotgun Collar
While this is a simple premise - the idea of your life being controlled purely by another person's, specifically the person who put you in this situation, is really intense.

#4 - The Pig Vat
This one was DISGUSTING - and also so emotional. Also there were maggots and I almost lost it.

#3 - The Classroom Trap
This one was super gross. And also cheating - because it was unwinnable. But the psychology behind this one is fucked and I couldn't imagine having to rip chains out of my body.

#2 - Amanda's Test
The most complex of all of these - ultimately trying to teach her a lesson that taking people's lives is far different from giving people a choice to take their life or not. It took a hell of a lot of work to set this one up and I had NO clue it was a test until the end when it was revealed. 

#1 - Jeff's Trial
I think ultimately this one is the most clever and emotionally damaging. Putting a guy in the situation to exact revenge on everyone who played a part in his son's death.


Ultimately this is another solid 10/10....I am LOVING these movies!


 SAW 4 2007
"You think it is over, but the games have just begun." 

Directed again by Darren Lynn Bousman and written by Marcus Dunstan, Patrick Melton, and Thomas Fenton.

Rigg is back and he's found Kerry's body, but he still hasn't found Matthews so his hunt continues. But now the FBI are involved, Strahm (Scott Patterson) and Perez (Athena Karkanis), and they believe a third person is involved in all of this. When Rigg returns to his apartment he finds himself in the middle of a Jigsaw run game and is shown his boss Hoffman (Costas Mandylor) and Matthews are a part of it.


Overall

This one was....confusing? Most Saw movies so far have confused me but at the end I'm like OMG TWIST I GET IT. But this one? I'm still lost. I have a lot of questions. Like who the fuck is Hoffman and why did he get involved with Jigsaw so long ago? How did we get from the end scene with Strahm getting locked in the surgery room to the opening scene in the morgue? How much did Donnie Wahlberg get paid to just hang there in a jump suit? What happened to Jeff's daughter? And how is this all happening at the same time? WHAT TIME FRAME IS THIS?

Me right now tbh:


So I don't know how I feel about this movie...I spent most of it confused and feeling like I was trying to catch up on a story I should've already known. Some of the traps were cool and ultimately I was riveted. But....SO MANY QUESTIONS. I'm hoping 5 will answer most of them...

I did really appreciate all the backstory about Jigsaw and his wife and his lawyer and how he came to be the way he is. I really found that interesting. 

Games/Traps

#7 -  The Bedroom Trap
Homeboy had to choose between damaging his eyes or his body....which I didn't really understand? But it didn't seem to matter because he damaged an eye and then his whole body got ripped apart soooo....

#6 - The Ice Block Trap
I don't think I fully understood this one....right around the time this one was revealed was when I started losing track of the plot. But the melting giant ice cube while someone's hanging and resting their feet on it is pretty cool.

#5 - Rigg's Trial
This was so complex with one of those great Saw trap endings where if you basically do nothing, you survive. 


#4 - The Scalping Seat
This one fucked me right up because I have incredibly long hair and I swear I could feel this one physically just by watching it. 

#3 - The Spike Trap
I liked this one a lot simply cause that guy seems like he deserved it. And making the abused wife do it was pretty cool - that's some exposure therapy if I've ever seen it.

#2 - The Knife Chair
This is one of the more simpler Saw traps that just remains incredibly effective and scary. I can't even begin to imagine what I would do in this scenario. Cry a lot, probably.

#1 - The Mausoleum 
This was incredibly fucked up - two guys wake up chained together, one has had his eyes ripped out and the other has his mouth sewed shut. So they can't communicate whatsoever and basically lose their shit.


I'm giving this one an 8/10 due to confusion. 

Alright! Another two done and three more to go!

Stay spooky!  



No comments:

Post a Comment