Charlotte

Charlotte

Friday, January 27, 2017

Sadako vs Kayako and why we should stop judging that fight scene

Sadako vs. Kayako is up on Shudder! And I watched it and I want to talk about it! Directed by Koji Shiraishi, SVK obviously combines the baddies from Ju-on and Ring. What started as an April fools joke quickly became a much anticipated fan film.

Warning - heavy spoilers.

You wanted a showdown?! Well you've got it! ....sort of.

SADAKO VS KAYAKO (2017)


Natsumi and her friend Yuri are hunting for a VHS deck to convert a wedding tape of Natsumi's parents into a DVD for their anniversary. In a pawn shop they find the cheapest one they can and bring it home with them. But when they plug it in, a tape pops out. They begin to watch but Yuri is distracted by her cell phone. Which is lucky for her, because this is the cursed tape. And as Natsumi watches in horror, her cell phone rings and she realizes she now only has 48 hours to live.

Luckily their Urban Legends professor is a total fan girl for Sadako and her cursed tape. When the girls bring it to him he watches it immediately and is cursed. This brings about a hilarious moment where the professor is fan girling on about Sadako and losing his shit about finally finding the tape, poor Natsumi goes, "even if this is the tape, I'm dying in two days okay." So the professor lets them know the ways to be saved, one of them being you hand the tape to someone else and make them watch it. But unfortunately it was Yuri who handed over the tape, so that's already failed.


Next step is to go to a Priestess who is kind of a bitch, and get an exorcism performed which to me looks more like water torture? But I'm also not a Priestess, so I'm sure it was fine. But shocker, this does not work. In fact it blows up in everyone's faces by basically breaking everyone's necks. This was a really great scene that had a lot of shocking quick death scenes one after the other.

Keizo and Tamao are called in. Keizo is some sort of....wizard? He's like this super cool, pea coat wearing guy who whips his hands around a lot and things happen, I think? Tamao is a sassy little blind girl who is not here for any of your shit.

BUT - while all this happening, we are also introduced to the stunningly beautiful Suzuka who has moved to a new town and learns about the house that is cursed with the spirit Kayako and her little ghost cat boy, Toshio. And our introduction to them is incredibly fun when four young boys enter the cursed house only to be killed one by one. CHILDREN BEING KILLED!!!!!!!!!! You know I love when that happens in horror movies!


Anyway, we don't spent a lot of time with Suzuka, which was weird. I kept wondering how on earth they were going to tie it all together. But soon she goes into the cursed house to find the missing boys only to come across Kayako. Her parents rush to her aid only to be violently killed by the spirits. Keizo and Tamao arrive and pull her out of there.

We've got three girls cursed, and possibly the whole world, after Natsumi in a shocking turn of events decides to upload the cursed tape onto the internet. Which is just super rude. Keizo and Tamao decide the only way to end these curses is to have Sadako and Kayako fight it out. They send Yuri and Suzuka into the cursed house with the tape and the fight begins.

Now, I will say - I do understand why people are annoyed that the fight isn't longer and bigger. Obviously, in Freddy vs Jason we get like 20 minutes of non-stop battle. BUT - I'm going to come to this movies defense and say I thought the fight scene was great! It was spooky and intense and when the curses combine it's terrifying. So, I think they did a great job with the two curses fighting it out. I mean, these are two angry spirits...they can't exactly throw punches and stab each other with machetes.

So give it some credit.

There are a lot of really funny moments that I liked like when Natsumi bribes Yuri to help her she says she'll buy her 5 lunches and Yuri is like uh fuck yeah, that had me cackling. There's not a tone of plot holes to be quite honest. I think they pulled it off really well. I liked how it all connects and how the cursed tape comes back. There were also some very emotional moments like when Yuri watches the video to save Natsumi, and then ultimately sacrifices herself at the end to save Suzuka and the world. Yuri is a bad ass bitch. And I also enjoyed the ending....basically they combine and become one super curse that's going to destroy the world. Or at least, that's what I got out of it.

I thought it was a fun watch, I really enjoyed myself, and I got really wrapped up in the film.

Solid 10/10 and I will fight you if you come at me complaining about that final battle. Also I learned I am still terrified of Kayako soooooooo


Stay Spooky!

ps: everything is not going as planned with the lump in my face - doctor had bad news, but I'm done chatting about it for now. I'm just going to pretend everything is fine.....that usually works right?


No comments:

Post a Comment