Charlotte

Charlotte

Tuesday, May 31, 2016

I Know What You Did Last Weekend....and it wasn't great...

Hey everyone! Despite the never ending tooth pain I dealt with this weekend which meant no sleep and no food...I ended up having a good weekend otherwise. Just smile and cry through the pain ya'll. Not only did I watch some great horror movies, I picked up some great horror stuurrrff:


Preacher Book One - I want to read the comics before watching the show. And N0S4A2 which is the only Joe Hill book I haven't read yet.


The gorgeous director's cut of Zodiac on blu-ray. The special features includes three documentaries!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's everything I want out of special features. And how beautiful is that cover?!


And I found this gorgeous War of the Worlds record in my alley. It's moving in/out weekend in our apartment building and the surrounding ones so everyone's just dumping their stuff. We also got a good as new TV stand and a rocking chair so I can live Psycho realness.

Anyway, the reason I'm actually here is to talk about a 90's slasher classic:

I KNOW WHAT YOU DID LAST SUMMER

"Listen, you little shit-stick-mayberry-ass reject. There's been a murder, and you are going to fry in hell if you ignore it!"

Coming out in 1997, I Know What You Did Last Summer was one of the last great slasher's that came out of the 90's. It's based off of the young adult novel by the same name, written by Lois Duncan. It stars Jennifer Love Hewitt, Sarah Michelle Gellar, Ryan Phillippe, and Freddie Prinze Jr in the lead roles. All four of them were massive stars in the 90's and that just shows how prominent horror was in that decade. The screenplay was written by the same guy who wrote Scream, Kevin Williamson, and was directed by Jim Gillespie

There was a terrible sequel a year later, I Still Know What You Did Last Summer, but we're not here to talk about that.



IKWYDLS tells the story of four high-school seniors who are celebrating the end of the school year and the beginning of summer. After a rowdy party and a get together at the beach, the four of them pile into Barry's car (Phillipe). While driving down a twisted road and all screaming and partying, they hit a person. Julie (Hewitt) thinks they should call the cops but Ray (Prinze), Helen (Gellar) and Barry come to the conclusion that hiding it would be much easier. So the teens dump the body in the ocean and begin to move on with their lives.

One year later, Julie arrives home for summer from her college and finds a threatening note that reads....you guessed it..."I know what you did last summer". The four friends have to band together despite everything and try and solve the mystery of who it is they apparently didn't kill, while people around them begin to get killed one by one.


This was a staples of the 90's. I remember watching it at like 13 years old and just being so terrified and loving every moment of it. But unfortunately, for me, it doesn't hold up. Scream will always hold up for me and is fun to watch no matter what. But as this was my first time watching IKWYDLS in probably ten years or so, I was looking at it with fresh eyes. I couldn't remember who the killer was or really much of the story. I found myself getting quite bored. There's also not as many kills in the film as I remember, and the story of the killer and who they are is kind of garbage? If you really think about it, it doesn't make too much sense.

The kills themselves are fun, the weapon of choice is a fish hook so there's lots of gutting. And there's lots of those fun moments where you're yelling at the screen...DON'T GO IN THERE YOU IDIOT or JUST JUMP OVERBOARD YOU WEIRDO...etc.


I think the only reason I like this movie is because I have fond memories of watching it in my basement as a kid, with the lights off, getting super freaked out.

I would say....watch it if you haven't. But if you have fond memories of watching it in the 90's....don't re-watch it.

Alright, I'm off to go bury myself in blankets and cry about tooth pain and how I can't just eat a giant bag of chips. I've got a big pile of DVD's sitting by my TV and a few on my desktop to get to. Reviews to come!

Stay spooky!

No comments:

Post a Comment