Charlotte

Charlotte

Monday, February 1, 2016

In which I rage watch Cabin Fever


I'm so damn angry about the unnecessary remake of Cabin Fever that I decided to watch the original today which I haven't watched in years. I read an article where the creators of the new Cabin Fever were saying they read the original script and thought it was so good, they didn't want to change a thing....NO SHIT....that's why you don't need to remake it. There's so much good horror out there, so many movies trying to get funding and yet a Cabin Fever with no script changes has been green lit and made?!?!?! WHYYYYYY do you do this to me horror, WHHYYYYYY??

Cabin Fever was first released in 2002 directed by Eli Roth and was a huge success. This was Roth's first film and he co-wrote it as well. In fact, it was such a success that Peter Jackson screened the movie three times during the filming of The Return of the King! He absolutely adored it.


The definition of cabin fever is a claustrophobic reaction that takes place when one person or a group are isolated in a small space. This cabin fever is more like....an isolated group of sexually frustrated adults stuck at a cabin as they all bleed and fall apart from an infectious disease. Or more accurately, a flesh-eating virus. Now because this is an Eli Roth movie there is of course a lot of gore, but not as much as his later films became. Although there are two scenes which cause me to freak out, the first being when Paul is poking the dead, infected body with a stick in the water and proceeds to fall face first into the water into the body. The second is when Marcy is shaving her legs in the bathtub and her skins come off with the razor. SO FUCKING GROSSSSSS. I think of that scene at least once a week when I'm shaving my own legs, no exaggeration. That shit stuck with me.

Cabin Fever is super fun movie to watch. Each character is annoying and the perfect horror movie stereotype. You're pretty content to watch them all slowly die. There's a great sub-cast of local town folk who steal the scenes they're in. The cop is my absolute favorite to watch and brings a great comedic wit to each interaction. The story is a bit of warning about unprotected sex and the idiocy of young adults.


It's a great first film from Roth and it was a change in pace during 2002 when it was released compared to the other horror movies coming out at that time. And it still holds up!

Basically, watch the original, support the original, ignore the shot for shot remake, it's not needed. And yeah, I'm throwing my opinion down.

9/10

PANCAKKKKEEEESSSSS!!!!


Stay Spooky!

1 comment:

  1. Agree on all counts. Most of all, I think they will fall short of replicating the humor that is deeply ingrained with this film. It is raw and sadistic and genuinely unique.

    ReplyDelete