Charlotte

Charlotte

Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Oscar watch better late than never part 2

HorrorBound continues to watch Oscar films!!

American Sniper



Oh boy, this was boring. Maybe it's because I watched Fury last night and that kind of just blew American Sniper out of the water? Maybe it's because it's soooo AMERICUH! that my eyes crusted over?

People really aggressively hate this movie on the internet. I went looking for a graphic and was smacked in the face by very angry and offended people. And honestly, this is one of those situations I just ignore because it seems very exhausting and we all know war is bad, and not everyone is a terrorist, etc etc obvious shit that people should know, but don't.

It was just the same old shit. The only parts I enjoyed was when Chris was back in America dealing with the traumatic effects of war. But that was barely touched on.
In fact the only time I felt any emotion was during the end credits when I was so relieved it was over. Just kidding. It was the footage from Chris's funeral. Very weepy. Because no matter what you say about Chris Kyle, or this movie, at the end of the day, a life was taken when it shouldn't have been and that's incredibly sad.

Let's just say, the best part of this movie was the fake baby, and that's saying a lot.
Whiplash




Beauty film. Stunning.
A story about a young drummer thirsting to be the next Charlie Parker, and one crazy motherfucker who's going to help him, even if he kills him in the process.
This movie is a rollercoaster of emotions and blood and drive and passion that hasn't been seen for awhile. Ten minutes into the film I could already tell why Simmons won his Oscar for his role as Fletcher.
I don't even know where to put this film, genre wise, it's like some weirdo thriller. All I can think is...Black Swan for drummers?

The ending is just such a significant but subtle twist and the relationship between Simmons and Teller was so phenomenal.

Like...all I can do with this movie is just talk about it in critic quotations:

"stunning"
"magnificent"
"a thrill ride"
etc etc

I will forever aggressively recommend this film.

Up next:
Birdman
Selma
Boyhood

No comments:

Post a Comment