Charlotte

Charlotte

Sunday, February 1, 2015

my love letter to the Vicious Brothers

The Vicious Brothers are a film making duo from here in Canada and have stolen my heart three times in a row.


gif credit
The first was with Grave Encounters. And I am fully aware that most people don't love Grave Encounters and its sequel but you know what I think? That's just cause ya'll got scared shitless. Grave Encounters is one of the top ten movies that scared me SO badly and one of the few horror movies I constantly re-watch.
I first watched it with Oprah during a sleepover many moons ago. Her bf was asleep on the couch and we spent most of the movie whispering about other things. But I remember it being just scary enough that I couldn't wait to properly watch it again. And so I have. Many, many, many times. Like...I'm obsessed.

And the best part about this movie is that it will always scare me because there are so many amazing jump scares that you simply can't remember them all and something will ultimately always catch you off guard.


The premise is simple. You take a ghost hunting team (loosely based on my baes from Ghost Adventures) and put them in an abandoned mental hospital. It's found footage, and shit goes wack. It goes super crazy. And it really fucks with you near the end and you start to feel like you're also trapped inside of this asylum. The first time they break open an emergency exit door only to find another hallway.....words can't even. You just feel a drop in your stomach.

And yeah, this sounds like a lot of other films, and I feel you on that. But there's something about Grave Encounters that keeps it original, and you never feel like oh, here we go again.

Anyway, I love Grave Encounters so much and needless to say this is basically me:


THEN...a year later...GRAVE ENCOUNTERS 2 COMES OUT. And all is right with the world.


gif credit
The sequel takes an interesting turn where it starts out with youtube vloggers questioning whether the movie is real or not, and talking smack about the special effects or going, you know what...this movie fucking scared the shit out me (me too vloggers, me too). Our lead in the sequel is a horror film maker who's a student at university. He believes this movie is real after he receives a strange message on youtube (been there my friend) and heads out to prove so. Obviously he ends up at the same asylum with his friends and they fall right into the trap of the hospital.

This one is also found footage but is a lot more fluid than the first. The scary shit goes down almost immediately and as the movie unravels we learn more about the being that possesses this hospital and the ghosts that bring it to life.


gif credit
I definitely prefer the first because how can you not? But I love the Grave Encounters franchise so fucking much and will defend it aggressively. My grave stone will basically just say, "Here lies Charlotte, she had some grave encounters".

Also, fun fact: the hospital they filmed at is a 30 minute drive from my house!

HERE'S WHERE IT GETS BETTER

Last year, the Vicious Brothers released Extraterrestrial....A MOTHER FUCKING ALIEN MOVIE YA'LL.



gif credit 
Because if you know me at all, you know my three loves are aliens, sharks and magicians. When I saw the trailer for the first time I got so rowdy. THERE'S A PROBING SCENE, I screamed to the heavens. And then I threw up in my mouth a little.

Last night I found the time to be able to watch this film and I spent the first half of the film kind of bummed because it wasn't clicking with me. But as the action picked up and the ending rolled around I danced for joy because there it was.....a new and unique alien movie I could love.

Basically a group of 20 somethings go off to their cabin in the woods (it has a bad ass pool, so don't go judging) and witness a crash in the woods, shoot an alien, and now the aliens are out for blood.

Trust me.

It's great.



gif credit
And the aliens themselves? Actually pretty scary. Which is weird because if I showed you a picture of what they looked like, they look cheesy, but in the context of the film it never comes off that way...it comes off scary and creepy and holy shit aliens. The spaceship scenes and the alien world were a joy to watch and I wish we could explore more up there. The ending was a little bit obvious but I still thoroughly enjoyed it and there was an amazing X-Files Easter egg that made me cry. #xfiles2015

The probing scene?
I can't.

Grave Encounters is far better and far scarier than Extraterrestrial but you know what? Who fucking cares. All three of these movies are amazing and I'm in love with them. The Vicious Brothers have my undying commitment and even ten years from now when the inevitable Grave Encounters 15 comes out, I'll still be watching. 

And honestly, you should too.

Go follow these fools on twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment