Charlotte

Charlotte

Sunday, December 27, 2015

We're talking horror comics!! Give me your recommendations!

Let's talk horror comics!

I'm a big comic nerd, my only problem being I suck at keeping track of them all. I've probably read 100's of #1's and then forgotten to continue with the rest of the series. But for Christmas from my amazing family in England I received a substantial gift card to amazon so I'm buying a tone of Volume 1 + of comics to round out the stories and my collection. 

I love Marvel comics of course, the Star Wars series and spin offs are great, especially the Princess Leia story line. I also love Ms. Marvel, Loki Agent of Asgard, and the new female Thor story line. 
I'm also head over heels in love with the new reboot Archie comics which are being created by Mark Waid and Fiona Staples (known for another amazing comic series - Saga). 
But what I love most are horror comics. Some of my favorites are The Walking Dead (I gave up on the show by the way, just kept reading the comics), The Strain, and Revival. 

So since I'm about to spend some money like crazy on Amazon, let's talk about the comics I'm picking out and why you should be reading them too. And if you've got any recommendations, put them in the comments!

OUTCAST 
Written by Robert Kirkman (The Walking Dead) and drawn by Paul Azaceta 

 

It's a supernatural horror story that tells the tale of Kyle Barnes. Kyle's life has been destroyed by his loved ones being involved in demonic possession. But when he meets a reverend who believes in demons and believes himself to have been possessed at one point, the two of them set out to unveil what lies behind the demonic manifestations he keeps encountering. The first issue (which I have read) was published in 2014 by Image Comics.

So far it looks like there has been 14 issues released and two volumes. I've ordered volume one (issues 1- 6) and cannot WAIT to read it. I love Kirkman's writing style and the complexity with which he writes his stories. And the art work is gorgeous and creepy.




HARROW COUNTY
Written by Cullen Bunn and drawn by Tyler Crook


Originally a serialized prose story called Countless Haints and released on Bunn's website, it ran for ten chapters before it ended. Then later it was made into an ongoing comic with Crook coming on board. It's published by Dark Horse Comics and currently has 8 issues and one volume (which I have purchased) which includes the first 4 issues. 

The comic tells the story of Emmy who lives on a farm with her father next to dark mysterious woods where back in the day a town witch was hung, shot and burnt. On the eve of her 18th birthday, Emmy discovers she is connected to the woods and the creatures within them.

A beautifully illustrated creepy comic. The panels are truly stunning and I just love the whole feel of this story and can't wait to read the rest of it! 


iZOMBIE
Written by Chris Roberson and Michael Allred



Published by Vertigo in 2010, iZOMBIE tells the story of Gwen Dylan who is a gravedigger in Oregon. She's friends with a beautiful 1960's ghost named Ellie and a were-terrier named Scott. Gwen herself needs to eat a brain once a month to keep herself from losing memories and intelligence. So being a gravedigger makes this pretty easy for her. Except, when she consumes the brains, she takes on the deceased's thoughts.

In 2011 it was nominated for the Eisner Award for Best New Series and in 2013 it was made into a TV show for the CW. Which I have not watched yet because I want to devour the comics first!

I've read the first two issues of this story and absolutely fell in love. It's so cute and fun, and Gwen is a great lead and her rag tag group of friends are adorable. I can't wait to get into the full story and see what sort of adventures they all get into.

This series has ended at 28 issues and 4 collected volumes. I've purchased number 1 which includes issues 1 to 6. 



I've also ordered Wytches Volume 1 but I haven't read any of those yet. Stephen King likes it though and that's good enough for me.

Also I thought I'd link my Goodreads profile as I don't think I've done that yet. Feel free to add me!
Click here

Alright, 
That's it for me today! Go read more comics and stay spooky!

No comments:

Post a Comment